20 Ways You Can Always Spot Someone From Ohio… No Matter Where They Are
Even when Ohioans travel to other states or countries, we’re pretty easy to spot. The following are just a few definite tip-offs that indicate if someone is from Ohio.
1) They dress in layers. Always.
(Because where they come from the concept of “weather” is essentially a synonym for terms such as “mystery” and “wildcard.”)
2) They are genuinely confused when you tell them they have an accent.
3) They appear to experience physical, mental and emotional difficulty saying, writing or using the word “Michigan.”
4) You notice they have quite the skill when it comes to dodging potholes on the road.
(Because it’s essentially a survival instinct they need to live in Ohio.)
5) Every once in awhile, they mysteriously pronounce an “r” in words that don’t actually have one.
6) Street construction— while pretty inconvenient for you—doesn’t appear to phase them at all.
7) And strangely enough, they’re still game for a road trip even when the forecast calls for snowfall.
8) “Pop” is a noun first, verb second, to them.
9) It’s nearly impossible to impress them or freak them out with a roller coaster ride.
10) They successfully dodge the deer on the road that literally came out of no where as if they’re just sitting on the couch playing Mario Kart while you’re sitting in the passenger seat having what you think might be a heart attack.
11) They never really seem to need anything exotic, fancy or flashy to have a good time. Give them a cornhole game, bonfire or a day at the local lake and they’re good.
12) You know what a flea market is because you know them.
13) They get moderately offended/annoyed when you ask them about cow tipping.
14) They have much better taste in ice cream than you do and can recommend at least 10 places off the top of their head.
15) When you bring up LeBron James sometimes they pretend to not know who he is to avoid redundant conversation. (Again, sometimes.)
16) When you’re watching “The Avengers” you can’t get them to stop talking and pointing out city landmarks like they personally directed the film or something.
17) They’re strangely optimistic when it comes to their favorite sports teams, in the spite of what the track records say.
18) A puzzled look crosses their face when you don’t understand what the question of “Where’s the sweeper?” even refers to.
19) They’re visibly bummed when you tell them there isn’t a local, weekly farmers market in your area.
20) When you ask them to tell you about what it’s like to live in Ohio they will give you a mix of thoughts and emotions. First, they will jokingly make fun of their state. Second, they will tell you where they’d like to move. And lastly, they will tell you why they love their state and why they wouldn’t actually move away in spite of the genuine craziness that is Ohio.
What other ways are there to tell if someone is from Ohio?