Each state has its own quirky laws but North Carolina has some downright weird ones. Obviously, pretty much all of these are no longer enforced but according to DumbLaws.com, they’re still technically laws. I guess we’re all outlaws here…
20. NC is the only state in the country where alcohol is controlled by both the ABC and a council of more than 160 local boards
It takes two to tango(drink) in NC.
19. Elephants may not be used to plow cotton fields
Now that I think about it, that could save some time. But these gentle giants belong only in their natural habitat!
18. It's against the law to sing off key
Another good excuse to back out of karaoke night.
17. It's a felony to steal more than $1000 worth of grease
This is really going to affect my next cookout...
16. Before North Carolina got its own lottery, it was illegal to be in mere possession of a lottery ticket, and you'd be fined $2000
At least now we can get lucky.
15. If a man and woman who aren't married go to a hotel and register themselves as married, then according to state law, they are married
14. Organizations may not hold their meetings when members present are in costume
This really affects the zombie enthusiast society.
13. Bingo games may not last more than five hours, and alcohol is not allowed at bingo games
If I'm stuck at a six hour bingo game, I'm leaving anyway.
12. It is illegal to rollerblade on state highways
But how else am I supposed to get to my eight hour bingo game?!
11. Driving on sidewalks is illegal
Ok, this makes a LITTLE sense.
10. Visiting the dead after midnight is illegal
But I just got off work?!
9. Women are required to wear clothes that total 16 yards. Meaning Daisy Dukes=illegal
Wait, are they rollerblading on a state highway?? Double trouble.
8. It's illegal for Grandma to get intoxicated at Bingo night
Applying to public bingo halls, NC sure has some beef with the game of 'bingo.'
7. It's illegal to practice as a professional psychic or fortune-teller, but amateurs are ok
I see lots of illegal bingo parties in your future.
6. A small font can send you to jail!
Restaurants with outdoor seating must post a menu outside to be readable by those in proximity, but unreadable by those on the street. Also, you cannot drive your car on the sidewalk to get a better view of the menu.
5. Forest city requires you call Town Hall before entering the city in a car
4. Rollerblading in the sun is illegal
Ok, who was the bingo rollerblading enthusiast that made some public official super angry?!
3. You can't collect your own reward money
Look at that face, he wants you to collect it TOO!
2. You can get a DWI on a horse
Good, because my favorite bar has seriously scarce horse parking.
Other ways to get a DWI-tractor, bicycle, electronic scooter.
1. Happy hours are illegal
Happy hour specials can only be offered for 'food.' Yeah, mind blown? Me too.
Basically, don’t rollerblade to a six hour bingo game and call your horse Uber to take your home.