West Virginia March 26, 2015
These 18 Unique Day Trips In West Virginia Are A Must-Do
It’s almost summer time, so when you find yourself with a free day or two, load the car up with some great friends and prepare for the time of your life!
These 18 amazing West Virginia destinations are amazing! You can really learn the history and see the beauty of our mountain state by visiting any of these locations.
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life. While we continue to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, please take proper precautions or add them to your bucket list to see at a later date. If you know of a local business that could use some extra support during these times, please nominate them here:
1) Hawk's Nest, located in Ansted, WV, is one of West Virginia's most famous pieces of scenery.
No matter the season, this beautiful state park will leave you in awe!
2) Summersville Lake, located in Nicholas County, WV, is so beautiful! It's ideal for swimming and soaking up some sun in the summer time.
3) The Timberline Four Seasons Resort, which is located in Davis, WV, is great for skiing, snowboarding, and has beautiful lodging!
4) Lost World Caverns, near Lewisburg, WV, are underground natural caverns!
These caverns go 120 feet below the surface!
5) Cass Scenic Railroad, located in Pocahontas County, WV, is an eleven-mile long railroad.
Visit Cass Railroad in the fall to get an amazing view of the West Virginia fall foliage. The colors will leave you in awe!
6) Located in Charleston, WV, is the amazing Clay Center. They have hands on learning activities for children, concerts, and even an electric sky theater.
The sky theater will absolutely blow you away!
7) Drive down to the capitol city, Charleston, to enjoy a baseball game at our very own Appalachian Power Park.
8) Take a tour of the West Virginia State Penitentiary, located in Moundsville, WV.
This penitentiary has quite a history! This haunted prison is on the Department of Justice's Top Ten most violent correctional facilities in America!
9) The birthplace of Pearl S. Buck, a famous American writer, is located in Hillsboro, WV.
This historic house is also a museum and it still has some of the original furniture that belonged to Pearl Buck and her family.
10) The Mystery Hole, located in Ansted, WV, is a fun place to visit!
You will be blown away by the mind tricks that gravity plays in this West Virginia attraction.
11) Marx Toy Museum, located in Moundsville, WV, has over sixty years of Louis Marx and Co. toys on display.
The museum is the largest display of Marx toys in the world!
12) Exhibition Coal Mine, located in Beckley, WV, offers underground coal mining tours by veteran coal miners.
Wouldn't it be amazing to hear first-hand some of the things that these coal miners had to do in that very mine? It would be like a living history book.
13) Winterplace Ski Resort, located in Ghent, WV, has 9 lifts, 27 trails, and snow tubing!
Snow tubing is my personal favorite because it requires minimal effort.
14) The Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad is located in Romney, WV.
Something that the Potomac is famous for is the rails passing through "The Trough," which is an area known for bald eagle sightings.
15) Bridge Day, which takes place on the New River Gorge Bridge, which is located in Fayetteville, WV.
They have BASE jumping, rappelling, and bungee jumping! Did I mention that this bridge is the third highest vehicular bridge in America?
16) Camden Park, located in Huntington, WV, is a favorite of my family. I grew up going to Camden each summer!
17) Burning Rock Outdoor Adventure Park, located in Raleigh County, WV.
Burning Rock Park is a great place to ride the ATV trails, zip line, camp, and much more.
18) If you are up for an adventure, grab a paddle and a helmet and jump into a white-water raft on the Upper Gauley river!
The Gauley River is a 105-mile long river in WV, so it doesn't have one location! It merges with the New River to form the Kanawha River.
Great friends or family and summer road trips are one of life’s best pleasures. West Virginia has many more to offer, too! What is your favorite place to visit in West Virginia? Comment below!