Washington January 07, 2017
13 Things Every Washingtonian Wants The Rest Of The Country To Know
Every state has a certain reputation, much of it brought on by silly stereotypes, attention-grabbing news headlines, and good old-fashioned jokes. And while that’s all in good fun, there are a few things that we Washingtonians would like you to know. Consider this a little helpful information for our would be visitors and potential future residents.
1. Most of our stereotypes aren’t true…
2. … but a few of them are.
You'll find all types of people in Washington. But the majority of us do love the great outdoors, and we're an environmentally conscious group who hates littering.
3. It’s not as gorgeous here as it looks in the pictures…
… it’s even better. Pictures don’t do it justice.
4. The apple you’re nibbling on and that beer you’re drinking? They may have come from us.
Washington is one of the nation’s top exporters, and we grow 78% of the country’s hops for brewing beer.
5. You (probably) won’t see any sadomasochist billionaires in Seattle or sparkling vampires in Forks, but you should visit them anyway. They’re beautiful places.
It’s really no wonder so many books and movies have been based in Washington.
6. If you do visit, please don’t forget about our eastern half.
Western Washington tends to get more attention, but the east side of our state is breathtaking. The Palouse is just as stunning as the mountains, Spokane is a charming city, and the Walla Walla and Yakima areas are heaven for wine drinkers. And speaking of wine drinkers…
7. We’re America’s second largest premium wine producer, and we believe our vino is second to none.
Our wine industry is thriving, and we love it when people come visit and taste it. In fact, if you fly Alaska Airlines out of Yakima, Pasco or Walla Walla, you can check a case of wine for free.
8. We have an impressive and efficient ferry system.
Every weekday morning, about 75,000 Puget Sound residents commute to work or school by ferry. Can you imagine a commute more beautiful?
9. Not to brag, but we have amazing restaurants, and not just in our major cities.
Washingtonians are spoiled when it comes to food. You’ll find incredible fine dining in Seattle, Tacoma and Spokane (this is Spokane’s Sante Restaurant), fabulous fresh seafood on the coast, mouthwatering authentic Mexican food statewide, and plenty of mom and pop restaurants in our small towns.
10. We’d love it if you’d stop with all the rain rumors.
Yes, Seattle gets its fair share (though the city sees LESS annual rainfall than Houston, New Orleans, Nashville and Boston, just to name a few), but overall, we don’t see nearly as much as you might think, especially on the eastern side.
11. We do not all smoke pot, and you are most likely not going to see a bunch of stoners lining the streets.
Just because it’s legal doesn’t mean we all indulge. Far from it. But it might surprise you to learn who partakes and who doesn’t… what can we say, we like smashing stereotypes.
12. There’s really something for everyone in Washington.
We’ve got sandy beaches, mountains, lush green forests, plains, wheat fields, big cities, small towns and even a little desert. You can even visit European villages (Leavenworth, Poulsbo, Lynden) without leaving the state.
13. We know we’re beautiful.
But we promise not to boast too much. We’ll let you fall in love with Washington yourself.
We’re confident that our friends from out of state will enjoy Washington as much as we do. And if they have anything negative to say,
here’s why they should keep it to themselves.