One Of The Most Haunted Cemeteries In Vermont Is Also The Most Beautiful
While cemeteries tend to be peaceful, there are frequently stories told about them being spooky and haunted. Green Mount Cemetery in Montpelier, VT is the perfect example. One of the most beautiful cemeteries in Vermont, this historic resting ground includes sculptures and a coifed landscape. It’s also been said that a ghost, referred to as ‘Black Agnes,” haunts the statue of John E. Hubbard; the benefactor who left the cemetery a significant donation. This donation led to the building of an impressive chapel and vault in the early 1900s. Are you intrigued yet? Read on to learn more about this serene and spooky destination worth visiting when you’re in Montpelier.
Have you been to Green Mount Cemetery and come in contact with “Black Agnes?” If so, we’d love to read about your experience. Feel free to share it in the comment section. After you’ve visited one of the most haunted cemeteries in Vermont, consider checking out the rest of Montpelier. It’s easy to spend a long weekend here if you know how to maximize your time using the best Montpelier weekend itinerary. I love making a trip even more special by booking a vacation rental which always allows me to feel like a true local.
More to Explore
Haunted Cemeteries in Vermont
What are the most haunted places in Vermont?
The most haunted places in Vermont are all chilling in their own way. You can visit quite a few of them, but several options include:
- The Equinox Hotel, Manchester: Located in Manchester Village, the construction of this hotel dates back to 1769. While quite a few former Presidents have visited the hotel, it's actually said to be haunted by Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of President Abraham Lincoln.
- Gold Brook Bridge, Stowe: Locals have reported strange occurrences at this bridge since 1968. It's said to be haunted by a spirit named "Emily," which is how the bridge earned its nickname, "Emily's Bridge."
- The entire town of Stowe, Lamoille County: With a haunted bridge and two haunted inns, this town is a great place to visit if you love a good spooky story.
What are the best hidden gem restaurants in Vermont?
The best hidden gem restaurants in Vermont can be found in all corners of the state. A few great ones to try the next time you're hungry include:
- Father's Restaurant, Westminster: In addition to a true feeling of community when you walk in the door of this small local restaurant, visitors will have the chance to enjoy a fantastic salad bar and a menu full of comfort food.
- Bravo Zulu Lakeside Bar, North Hero: Enjoy a waterfront meal overlooking Lake Champlain when you visit this spot slightly off the beaten path. Boaters will love that you can actually dock right next to the restaurant.
- Aztlan Foods, Waterbury Center: Those in search of great Mexican food will want to check out this hidden gem restaurant off Main Street. They've got some of the most authentic food and the space is tiny, making it feel even more special.