Avalon in Southern California Is One Of America's Most Walkable Small Towns, And There Are Delights Around Every Corner
Hoping for a cute small-town experience that you can explore on foot? You’ve found the right place in Avalon on Santa Catalina Island. Catalina is a small island off the coast of Los Angeles and is one of the best-known destinations in Southern California for good reason. There is so much to love in the main island town of Avalon. It’s easily one of the most walkable small towns in America. While it might take you a little bit of effort to get there, we guarantee there is so much to see just by walking around for an afternoon. Let’s take a look at one of the most beautiful small towns in Southern California.
Check out the flying fish that are just offshore:
Avalon on Santa Catalina Island is the ideal place to go for a total change from the city life of San Diego and Los Angeles. It’s one of the best small towns in Southern California. It’s a fun getaway for friends, couples, and the whole family, with fun activities for everyone. Have you gotten the chance to go to Avalon? What was your favorite part? Let us know in the comments. If you’d like to explore here, check out these wonderful experiences on Santa Catalina Island.
More to Explore
Charming Towns in Southern California
What are the most charming small towns in Southern California?
The most charming small towns in Southern California include:
- La Jolla. A suburb of San Diego, this seaside town is known for the cove, cliffs, and tidepools that locals absolutely love.
- Oak Glen. This is a wonderful place to visit during the fall when you can see vibrant colors and go apple and pumpkin picking.
- San Juan Capistrano. You’ll find a great amount of state history in this little town with a beautiful old Mission and lovely gardens.
- Julian. This is an old gold rush town with old buildings and a friendly feel. It also has some of the best pie in the state.
Find out more about the most charming small towns in Southern California.
What are the tiniest towns in Southern California?
The tiniest towns in Southern California include:
- Avalon. You have to take a boat or ferry to get to this town that sits on Catalina Island. This tiny town is full of upscale restaurants and shops.
- Forest Falls. This town has a population of 1102 and is surrounded by beautiful hiking trails and waterfalls.
- Trabuco Canyon. This little town is an often overlooked hidden gem with a charming general store that’s well worth a visit.
- Wrightwood. With fantastic farmers markets, local parades, and tons of local events, this little town packs in a lot of fun.
Discover more about the tiniest towns in Southern California.
What are the most beautiful towns in Southern California?
The most beautiful towns in Southern California include:
- San Diego. This is widely considered one of the most beautiful cities in the country and its beautiful beaches, cliffs, canyons, buildings, and trees are evidence of it.
- Joshua Tree. This desert town is surrounded by its namesake trees that help create an otherworldly landscape.
- Valley Center. Surrounded by stunning lavender fields and picturesque mountains, this little town smells as lovely as it looks.
- Marina Del Rey. This is a quaint fishing village with old-fashioned buildings and wonderful marinas.
Learn more about the most beautiful towns in Southern California.