11 Reasons Why South Dakota Is The Most Underrated State In The US
Out-of-staters who make fun of South Dakota obviously aren’t aware of everything we have to offer and why anyone would be lucky to call the Mount Rushmore State their home. Sure, every state has its drawbacks, but I, for one, couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. Here are 11 reasons why South Dakota is the most underrated state in the US.
1. We have a rich heritage and plenty of festivals to celebrate.
From Menno’s Power Show to Tabor’s Czech Days, it seems that almost every little South Dakota town hosts an annual festival where they celebrate their rich culture with delicious foods and various activities.
for more South Dakota festivals.
2. We have free music concerts.
You can enjoy free concerts at Hills Alive Music Festival, JazzFest and Lifelight. Nobody can ever say that South Dakotans don’t value quality music!
3. We have more shoreline than the entire state of Florida.
While the beaches in Florida may be warmer, you’re very mistaken if you think you can’t find any gorgeous shorelines in South Dakota. They are even more stunning when combined with our sunsets.
4. South Dakota is great state to start a business.
In fact, according to
our business environment ranks at number 1.
5. There’s no personal income tax in our state.
The same goes for inheritance tax and personal property tax. Pretty nice, right? We think so.
6. We rank number 12 in restaurants per capita.
We boast .275 restaurants for every 100 people. Pictured is a delicious fried chicken meal from Toby’s Lounge in Vermillion.
7. Not to mention, we're home to many restaurants with truly spectacular views of our lovely state.
Latchstring Inn at the Spearfish Canyon Lodge is a perfect example. Click
for more restaurants with jaw-dropping views.
8. It’s not hard to find a delicious and fresh farmers market.
Our agriculture producing state boasts farmers markets spring through fall. Click
for more information and to find one near you.
9. We have views like this.
The Black Hills National Forest is an adventure lover’s (and a photographer’s) heaven.
10. We boast a
low cost of living that’s well below the national average.
11. Our state is full of hundreds of small towns that are full of unique charm and appeal.
Every one of them is different and has something special to offer, whether that’s a delicious local restaurant or just a small town vibe that makes it easy to claim it as your forever home.
for a short list of a few our favorite little towns.
Trust me; I could have definitely kept going, but I would also love to hear some of our readers’ thoughts. What do you love most about South Dakota?
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.