South Carolina Attractions June 03, 2022
Follow The Beautiful Lakeshore Along This Scenic Drive Through South Carolina
If you’ve ever found yourself on Interstate 95 in the Santee area, then you’ve undoubtedly driven over the Francis Marion Bridge which crosses Lake Marion. You know the one; it’s the one spot on Interstate 95 where you have to force yourself to keep your eyes on the road even though you’re completely mesmerized by the surroundings (in this case, the water view). Take in more of the lovely views of both Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie on this abbreviated 54-mile scenic drive through South Carolina along the lakeshore, complete with places to stop, eat, gawk, swim, and more.
Fire up the engine and let's hit to road on this scenic lakeshore drive in South Carolina.
Here's an interactive Google map that'll guide you to all eight of the stops on this adventure. Prepare to visit some tiny little communities you may never have heard of before.
1. Welcome to Vance (home of Mike Williams - if you're not already a Chargers fan then you might be soon). This tiny but mighty Organgebug County town is home to about 150 people. But we're headed to one spot in particular:
The Mill Creek Marina and Campground found right on the shore of Lake Marion, the largest lake in South Carolina. It's so large, in fact, it's often referred to as the inland sea!
Mill Creek Marina and Campground, 216 Lake Marion Ln, Vance, SC 29163, USA
Grab a cold bev at the outdoor bar at the marina (in season) or...
Or pop into the Mill Creek Restaurant for a tasty meal served with a smile and a side of amazing lake views.
2. Back in the car and only a little farther up the road, we're pulling off at Indian Bluff Recreational Park in Eutawville.
Indian Bluff Recreation Park, 157 State Rd S-38-1641, Eutawville, SC 29048, USA
What a perfect spot to get out, stretch your legs and even take a dip in the lake, if you feel so inclined.
Be sure to take in the views of waterlogged cypress trees here, too!
3. See even more of beautiful Lake Marion from the Cathead Landing Santee Cooper Public Lake Access in Eutawville.
Cathead Landing Santee Cooper Public Lake Access, Eutawville, SC 29048, USA
Sure, it may seem like it's just a boat ramp, but only steps to the left of that double boat ramp is...
a lovely dock with enough shade to sit here all day and relax just gazing out over the water.
4. You probably never would have guessed there is an underwater ghost town that rises above the water line on Lake Marion.
The lumber town of Ferguson was (mostly) flooded when this reservoir was filled but parts of it still peep up through the surface. Depending upon the season, you may or many not get to spy some of it from the shore along this small road you'll be driving down. But for sure, if you bring a kayak or canoe, you can paddle over to in a matter of minutes.
5. Next up, we'll make our last stop on Lake Marion at Spiers Landing Park in Cross.
Spiers Landing Park, 1505 Spiers Landing Rd, Cross, SC 29436, USA
Stop and smell the roses as you gaze once again out over South Carolina's inland sea along this lakeshore highway.
6. The trailhead of the Lake Moultrie Passage of the Palmetto Trail originates in Cross.
Palmetto Trail - Lake Moultrie Passage Trailhead, Cross, SC 29436, USA
The 26.3-mile trail travels from the western shore of Lake Marion across the canal and then skirts all along the northeastern shore of Lake Moultrie. You won't have to hike the full distance to get a sense of what it's like to hike the Palmetto Trail. Get out of the car and check it out.
7. On Lake Moultrie and over at Blacks Camp near Cross, anglers from all over enjoy reeling in the big fish. Stop and cheer them on and consider coming back another day to try your own luck at catching a giant of your own.
Blacks Camp, 1370 Blacks Camp Rd, Cross, SC 29436, USA
Blacks Camp also has a restaurant. If fresh fish is your thing, you're bound to find it on the menu here!
8. Our last stop on this road trip is at the Hatchery Boat Landing in Pinopolis.
Hatchery Boat Ramp Lake Moultrie, Pinopolis, SC 29469, USA
Enjoy the scenery here. On super sunny days you'll find the sandy beach near the landing is filled with boaters, water skiers, and other people all enjoying a day on - and in - the lake.
Who says a scenic road trip needs to be so long it empties your tank and your wallet? Not this one! Pop in the car and go take this short 54-mille scenic drive through South Carolina along two of the prettiest lakes in the state.
Love exploring South Carolina? Here’s another fun (and short) road trip that features
three waterfall swimming holes in three days! Address: Mill Creek Marina and Campground, 216 Lake Marion Ln, Vance, SC 29163, USA Address: Indian Bluff Recreation Park, 157 State Rd S-38-1641, Eutawville, SC 29048, USA Address: Cathead Landing Santee Cooper Public Lake Access, Eutawville, SC 29048, USA Address: Spiers Landing Park, 1505 Spiers Landing Rd, Cross, SC 29436, USA Address: Blacks Camp, 1370 Blacks Camp Rd, Cross, SC 29436, USA Address: Palmetto Trail - Lake Moultrie Passage Trailhead, Cross, SC 29436, USA Address: Hatchery Boat Ramp Lake Moultrie, Pinopolis, SC 29469, USA