Oregon June 24, 2016
10 Reasons The Entire Country Should Be Thankful For Oregon
Oregon is an incredible state, full of stunning scenery, great people, amazing food, and so much more. Sometimes, however, it’s easy for the rest of the country to forget about us, tucked away in our beautiful corner of the Pacific Northwest. From our award-winning breweries to our awesome sports teams, here are 10 reasons the whole country should be thankful for Oregon (especially those of us who are lucky enough to live here):
10. We created the perfect berry.
Marionberries are a hybrid strain of blackberry that was developed in Oregon the 1950s. To this day, we still produce more than 90% of the marionberries in the country.
9. So much amazng wine comes from Oregon's gorgeous wine country.
Oregon is known internationally for its award-winning wine. There are nearly 700 wineries in Oregon, and many of them specialize in Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris.
8. We have incredible sports teams.
The Ducks, the Beavers, the Timbers, the Blazers, the list goes on and on.
7. If the first Wiki software hadn't been invented in Oregon in 1994, we wouldn't have access to the seemingly endless databank that, today, is Wikipedia.
6. Oregon produces 95% of the hazelnuts in the country.
If you've ever eaten a hazelnut before - in a pastry, chocolate, or on it's own - chances are it was grown in Oregon.
5. Oregon is home to some of the best breweries in the country.
Oregon is home to hundreds of amazing breweries, which produce many great beers like Deschutes, Ninkasi, and Rogue, and many more, which are distributed across the country. In fact, Portland alone has more breweries per capita than any other city in the world.
4. .... And coffee roasters, too.
Oregon is also home to numerous awesome coffee roasters, like the famous Stumptown, pictured above.
3. Tillamook Cheese comes from Oregon, too.
The Tillamook County Creamery is the biggest dairy processing facility in North America. Every day, the factory in Tillamook, Oregon produces 117,000 pounds of delicious cheese which is sold all over the country.
2. One of the many inventions made in Oregon is the computer mouse, which you're probably using right now!
It's the little things that count, right?
1. Last but not least, Oregon is home to some of the most stunning scenery in the country.
Here's a photo of the breathtaking Crater Lake, which also happens to be the deepest lake in the U.S.
What are some other reasons the whole country should be thankful for Oregon?