Oklahoma March 21, 2017
13 Things You Quickly Learn When You Move To Oklahoma
If you’re moving to Oklahoma, you’ll soon find out the Sooner State isn’t like other states. We love our state, but if you’re not from around here, it can take some getting used to. We’ll help you out, though, and tell you a few things before you move here.
1. The weather is unpredictable.
There will be days where you will begin your day dressed in winter clothes and end your day in summer clothes.
2. There are lots and lots of BIG bugs.
If you're from a state that doesn't have mosquitoes, pick up some bug spray the moment you enter the Sooner State. We would hate for you to get eaten alive your first day here.
3. There's a gas station on every corner, so no need to worry about running out of gas.
Compared to other states, Oklahoma has a vast amount of convenience stores and gas stations. So don't worry if you pass by one, you'll see one on the next corner.
4. We have lots and lots of mountains.
Contrary to popular belief, it's not all farmland in Oklahoma.
5. The University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University are VERY different.
You'll quickly learn that OU is in Norman and OSU is in Stillwater.
6. And we'll judge you based off of which one you like.
You're either a Sooner or a Cowboy. There is no in between.
7. So that means you need to fill your wardrobe with orange and black or crimson and cream.
In case you didn't catch it the first and second time, PICK A SIDE!
8. Strangers will talk to you and act like you're already friends.
Don't be alarmed, we're are just that friendly.
9. We have days where we feel like we are living out scenes from the movie Twister.
We don't have tornadoes every day, but we do have a lot.
10. Chicken fried steak and gravy is on virtually every menu in the state.
I mean, it is part of our state meal, so why shouldn't it be served in every restaurant?
11. The lakes will be your new best friend.
They are a little slice of heaven in the summer heat.
12. You can count on hot and humid summers, but our winter weather is unpredictable.
Some years we see lots of ice and snow and others we barely see any. You just never know.
13. We love our state, and we think you'll love it too!
You'll soon find out there's a lot to love about Oklahoma. From the friendly people to the beautiful topography to the delicious food, we have a great state.
Are you moving to Oklahoma soon? If so, check out
these great places to put down roots and call home.