What Happened In This Oklahoma Lake Is Everyone’s Worst Nightmare

In the summer of 2015, Elizabeth Knight enjoyed a fun day at Lake Murray with her children – just as she always had before. But a few days later she quickly fell ill. She was first diagnosed with bacterial meningitis, but when her symptoms quickly deteriorated, it was discovered that Elizabeth had contracted a brain-eating amoeba from the lake water – she died a few days later at the age of 24.

Since 1998, seven Oklahomans have died from a brain-eating amoeba. The amoeba is only dangerous if it enters in your body through your nose, not your mouth. Health officials advise not going in warm, standing water over 80 degrees and to refrain from diving, jumping or any activity that would shoot water up your nose.

We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life as we all practice social and physical distancing. While we’re continuing to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, we don’t expect or encourage you to go check them out immediately. We believe that supporting local attractions is important now more than ever and we hope our articles inspire your future adventures! And on that note, please nominate your favorite local business that could use some love right now: https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nominate/

Please take caution when swimming in Oklahoma’s warm lakes and rivers.