Ohio May 17, 2018
11 Silly Sayings That Will Only Make Sense If You’re From Ohio
Here in Ohio, we tend to speak our own language that’s different from the other 49 states—but we’re fine with that, thank you very much. Other states might find us to be a little
weird, but our words make everyday life make sense to us. The following are 11 words, phrases and unusual sayings that will only make sense if you’re from Ohio.
See how many you use:
1. The sudden and occasional "O-H"...
...which simply means we're waiting on an "I-O" reply.
2. "The Three C’s"
Do we really have to explain this one? The Three C’s = Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati.
3. "Who Dey"
It's simply how we cheer.
4. "The Shoe"
It's a proper noun here in Ohio. And it doesn't go on your foot.
5. B-Dub’s = BW3’s = Buffalo Wild Wings
It's all the same. And it's not really that complicated.
6. "JC Penney’s, "Kroger’s" and "Meijer’s" are exactly what you think they are.
We just like to make them possessive.
7. "You’re fine," means "No problem" or "No worries."
We’re not complimenting you.
8. "Tennis shoes" doesn't necessarily refer to shoes for playing tennis.
FYI: This term refers to all sneakers and athletic footwear.
9. When we say, "Put that up" we don’t always mean you need to physically place the object in an upward direction.
We actually just mean, "Put that away."
10. "The boot" refers to the trunk of a car...
...but that doesn’t mean we’re claiming we’re European or anything.
11. Grabbing the "sweeper" so we can "sweep" the floors doesn't mean we're referring to a broom and dust pan.
"Sweeper" refers to a vacuum cleaner. Don’t act so confused. If you tell us to get out the "vacuum cleaner" we'll just marvel at your use of what we consider to be its fancy, scientific name.
What other words or sayings would you add to this list? Let us know!
For more habits that are unique to Ohioans, check out our previous article:
12 Extremely Weird Things Only People From Ohio Do.