These 10 Epic Hills In San Francisco Will Drop Your Jaw
What makes San Francisco so beautiful? The Bay? The bridges? The architecture? Yes to all the above. But we’ll argue that the most jaw-dropping aspect of the city is its unrivaled collection of hills that shape the fog, define the city’s unique neighborhoods, and keep its citizens in tip-top shape. The number of actual hills in San Francisco depends on how you actually define a “hill,” and so the official count falls somewhere between 42 (if you check 1959’s “Hills of San Francisco”) and over 50. But here are the 10 epic hills in San Francisco that really top ’em all, and they all offer a fabulous reward at the top.
So, what are you waiting for? Strap on those running shoes and get climbing! And for the true explorers out there: let us know what other hills in San Francisco deserve to be on this list.
More to Explore
Places in San Francisco
Where are some beautiful places in San Francisco?
San Francisco is undeniably photogenic, its beauty continuously attracting people to live and visit the city. While some places are well known, check out this list to see if there are other beautiful places in San Francisco that you may be less familiar with:
- Alamo Square
- Of course, there’s Golden Gate Bridge
- California Academy of Sciences and its living roof
- Legion of Honor, part of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
- Palace of Fine Arts, a stunning structure built in 1915
- The Presidio is a former military base now filled with tall trees and trails for all explorers
- Dolores Park offers plenty of city views
What are some things to do in San Francisco?
With its moderate climate, stunning landscape and unique character, there are always adventures in San Francisco to be had. If you’re looking for some things to do in the city, consider the following:
- Walk the Barbary Coast Trail
- Explore Chinatown, which is the oldest AND largest in North America
- Visit the Beat Museum, a place dedicated to original artists and free thinkers of the 1950s and 60s
- Climb the mosaic stairs on 16th Avenue
- Then climb the sandy stairs at Baker Beach
- Don’t forget a visit to Alcatraz…
- Or a trip biking or walking across the iconic Golden Gate Bridge
What are some day trips to take around San Francisco?
If you are still looking for a bit of adventure, consider any of these day trips around San Francisco. (Be sure to check out the article for more details about each of these amazing day trips!)
- Redwood Canopy Tours in Felton
- Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy
- Performing Animal Welfare Society in San Andreas
- The Robert Mondavi Winery in Oakville
- The Heavenly Ridge Rider Mountain Coaster in South Lake Tahoe
- Orr Hot Springs in Ukiah