North Dakota December 18, 2016
15 Reasons Why You Should Never, Ever Move To North Dakota
North Dakota is the “legendary” state according to the signs, and it may be legendary for a lot of reasons. We’re one of the lesser populated states, and maybe there’s a cause for that. Life on the prairie isn’t for everyone and yet we’re still here, and some of us actually enjoy it. Everything this state throws at us seems worthwhile when compared to the perks of living in a relatively quiet, large, beautiful state. That’s not to say everyone would be able to do it, our toughness just makes it seem easy when we have to. You might want to consider the following if you plan on moving here…
1. It really does get cold in winter.
Who is ready for the sub zero temperatures? You better be - because they're already here!
2. So much wind!
The wind makes winter driving even more fun with the added bonus of blowing snow and drifts. Not to mention the chilliest windchill ever.
3. We've got lots of wild animals here.
And they seem to have a perfect sense of when the worst possible time to cross the road is.
4. And yes, sometimes that actually does include bison.
Don't mess with these guys, seriously. Just let them pass or else risk getting a nice big dent in your car.
5. There's too much good regional food here, it's hard to stop eating.
Dieting? Does that include eating North Dakota's massive, amazingly delicious caramel rolls? Because if not, I think I'll pass...
6. When it's summer, the humidity and bugs are out to get you.
Maybe not quite southern states humid, but some days it does get up in the high percentages plus above 90 degrees. The mosquitoes, ticks, and other creepy crawlers that come with that are not fun either.
7. Speaking of bugs, be prepared to see a lot of these trying to find some warmth in your home every fall.
Luckily these guys are mostly harmless.
8. Oh, and let's not forget the summer storms.
A lot of us like to sit out and watch the summer storms roll in, myself included. However, sometimes those storms spawn tornados, and that's definitely when it's time to head inside.
9. Outsiders rarely understand you when you say you're from North Dakota.
No, Mount Rushmore is not here, you're thinking South Dakota, and no, the movie "Fargo" is not very accurate. Seriously, some people out there think this state doesn't exist in some weird conspiracy theory.
10. People might look at you funny when you talk about what North Dakotans do for fun.
I swear, it really is fun sitting around a hole in the ice on a lake during the frigid winter. Seriously! Why are you looking at me like I'm crazy?
11. There are a lot of lonely stretches of roads.
On the bright side, traffic is pretty low! Except when...
12. During certain times of the year, tractors have to share the road too.
Farmers, I love and respect you, but sometimes I just have places to be and no way to pass you.
13. We have to borrow sports teams from other states.
You're either a Vikings fan or a Packers fan, no other options. When it comes to college sports teams, however, we're covered on our own.
14. It's a place where you don't have to look up to see the sky.
I personally consider this a perk, especially for sunrises and sunsets.
15. The outside world seems oblivious to the beauty the state has.
It's hard to show off when people think you don't exist or only associate you with a weird movie or the oil fields. There's so much here they should be jealous about!
If you liked these, you should check out our list of
extremely weird things only North Dakotans do. We’re certainly a one of a kind state!