Considering the size of New York, it frequently feels like there’s a handful of different states all packed into one. This means that’s there’s basically an entire laundry list of various things that drive us totally mad. While the buttons we hate having pushed tend to vary from region to region, here are just several basic sure-fire ways to make a New Yorker mad:
1. When anyone tries to tell us that the New York Giants aren't actually a New York team.
Dear everyone across America, there's
no need to remind us that the New York Giants don't play in New York. Broken records are no fun, so pipe down maybe?
2. Asking us which team is better, the Yankees or the Mets?
Depending on who you're rooting for, this will bother you for different reasons. If you're a die-hard Yankee fan, this will irritate you because you obviously feel as though your team is the superior and true baseball team of our state. If you're a Mets fanatic you'll once again be annoyed by the fact that everyone thinks the Yankees are the greatest, sweeping the orange and blue under the rug.
3. Anyone who walks or drives at an inconsiderately slow rate.
We hate having to pinch ourselves to double check that we haven't been sucked into some sort of slow motion universe where everyone is moving at a slower rate than your childhood turtle. We have places to go, people to see! Time to put those feet to work or move out of our way.
4. Watching out-of-towners attempt to say our town names. C'mon people! They're not
Okay, maybe we have an advantage because we've grown up all our lives hearing these tongue twisters. But sometimes you guys just butcher our town names terribly! Keep trying, we'll keep laughing. It's all in good fun!
5. Don't even think it! Our pizza is the best pizza and for your sake, you should never say otherwise.
Our pizza is loved all across the world and when we we're away from home we miss it dearly.
6. Overhearing someone say that Long Island isn't worth the drive.
Sure, this stretch of New York may be quite the drive or overall travel time for, even the majority of our residents. But there's nothing like getting out to explore this paradise-like region of our state.
7. That moment when the nails hit the chalkboard and you hear someone say buffalo wings instead of just wings.
If you're a New Yorker, you won't catch us calling these savory treats buffalo wings, that's for sure.
8. Please don't ask us if it's really cold in New York, we both already know the answer and not all of us are fans of the harsh winters.
It's like the enjoy seeing the fury light up within our eyes, right? While there's plenty of beautiful things we love about the winter, we're not always the biggest fans of the mass amounts of snow and dangerous ice.
9. And don't go assuming that all of Western New York is just a heaping pile of snow.
Some of you may be surprised to learn that there's more to the Western region of our state than just cold weather and snow piled up to our rooftops.
10. One word, taxes.
Taxes everywhere, for everyone! Raise your hand if you travel out of state to do your shopping!
11. There's no good wine from the Northeast you say? Lies!
Out of all the states in America, New York tends to be underrated when it comes to our wine. From the Finger Lakes to Long Island, you'll fall in love after one sip.
12. If you say that there's anywhere better to shop than Wegmans, well don't.
Wegmans for life. Wegmans forever. It always feels like a holy experience walking into our favorite grocery store.
13. Possibly our biggest pet peeve of all, don't go assuming that New York means New York City.
It feels like we should have it tattooed on our foreheads, the whole "New York is more than New York City" thing. For once, I'd love to tell someone I'm from New York and have them reply with an unusual response like asking if I'm from Utica or Saratoga.
Anywhere, but the Big Apple.
14. We'll actually feel sorry for you if you try to say there's nothing worth visiting outside of the Big Apple.
Did you enjoy having a head? Because after you make a statement like that you'll surely have it ripped off, never to be seen again. New York City is amazing, but the rest of our state? Woah baby!
15. Telling us to relax with the salt and potatoes.
Stop eating salty potatoes you say? Never.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.