New York February 19, 2017
15 Things No Self-Respecting New Yorker Would Ever Do
Most New Yorkers can be spotted from a mile away when we’re out of state. Something about living in New York shapes us to be unique characters, we’d never want to change it about us! Every state may have their own list of personal pet peeves, but the following fifteen things are stuff that you won’t ever catch any self-respecting Empire State resident doing.
1. Turn down a trip to the mountains.
If one of your buddies asks you if you're up for tagging along on a trip to the mountains, you never say no.
2. And the same goes for visiting one of our many waterfalls.
so many waterfalls in New York, it can take quite a while to cross every single one off of your bucket list. So when someone asks you if you're willing to hop in the car and go visit one of these natural wonders, you never say no!
3. Worry about snowstorms that are headed our way.
If you were born and raised in New York then you're no stranger to major snowstorms let alone, snow. While other states may run to the grocery stores to clear out all of the shelves, most of us are already well prepared for what's to come and have no worries at all.
4. Complain about the weather that comes with having four fantastic seasons.
Rain or shine, winter or summer, we refuse to complain about what is going on outside! We know that we're spoiled with being able to experience all four seasons throughout the year.
5. Disrespect Mother Nature.
It's a simple concept really! Don't leave litter all of our beautiful outdoor scenic spaces and most certainly don't bring any cans of spray paint with you along any of your adventures. There's nothing worse than making your way up a trail and finding that someone decided to use Mother Nature as their canvas.
6. Refer to our downstate locations as being Upstate New York.
Some of our residents in the Big Apple may call anything north of Westchester Upstate New York, but our true New Yorkers know where the real Upstate is.
7. Saying that New York's pizza isn't the absolute best, along with our other favorite foods like garbage plates, wings, bagels and all that good stuff.
8. Go swimming in the Hudson River.
The Hudson River is a body of water that is best to be seen and not touched. If you decide to take a dip into this river, you shouldn't be surprised if you find yourself receiving a handful of dirty looks shot your way. With plenty of other amazing lakes, rivers and beaches, there's really no excuse for you to use this as your personal pool.
9. Put yourself through the torturous experience that is visiting Times Square.
Aside from crossing this location off of your "been there, done that" list, there's really no reason why you should drag yourself through the painful experience of being in Times Square. The intense lights and projected excitement that comes from this small little pice of the Big Apple may seem like fun, but we assure you that there are plenty of other places in the city that are more worthy of your attention.
10. Act as though Wegmans isn't one of the greatest places on earth.
No self-respecting New Yorker would ever let someone speak ill of this extraordinary place.
11. Root for anyone other than New York, specifically not any of America's New England teams.
If there's one thing we were raised to learn, it's that you never root for the Boston Red Sox or New England Patriots. These are just no no's!
12. Drink bottled water when the best stuff comes right out of the tap!
Other states may not have this luxury, but in New York? Our water is so fantastic you can drink it straight from the tap without any worry.
13. Say that the Canadian side of Niagara Falls is better to visit than New York's half.
14. Give away the locations to our favorite secret scenic spots.
Well all have that one location in New York that we're not willing to share with others, whether it be a hidden creek, waterfall, swimming hole or abandoned spot.
15. Move away and call anywhere else but New York home.
If you were born and raised in New York then you know that the Empire State will
always be home! And if you do somehow manage to move out of state for a brief period of time, you'll always end up coming back.
Is there anything you would add to this list? To indulge in some more Empire State pride, take a look at these
11 Reasons Why Small Town New York Is The Best Place To Grow Up!