The Breakfast Burrito Was Invented At This Restaurant In New Mexico In The 1970s
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so you don’t want to choose just any food item to curb your appetite. You need a meal that is filling, delicious, and flavorful. The breakfast burrito is a popular breakfast favorite and it is easy to see why. The breakfast burrito can be filled with potatoes, eggs, meat, cheese, and so much more. It can be customized to your liking — no matter if you like spicy, savory, sweet, etc. Many New Mexicans do not realize that a popular New Mexico restaurant is believed to be the first to have served this scrumptious meal. Tia Sophia’s breakfast burrito is not only the best in the state, but possibly the first ever!
For more information regarding Tia Sophia’s hours and menu, visit its Facebook page.
To learn more about the history of New Mexico, check out some of the oldest photos ever taken in the Land of Enchantment.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.
Dining in New Mexico
What are the best Mexican restaurants in New Mexico?
If you have to stay stateside, the best possible place for Mexican food is New Mexico. Some of the best Mexican restaurants in New Mexico are:
- Habanero's Fresh Mex only uses vegetable oils to cook with, making their food a bit healthier but no less flavorful.
- El Gallo Pinto is a family-run spot that is sure to make you feel right at home the moment you step in. We highly recommend the tacos al pastor.
- El Patron Café and Catering is a little bit tough to find, but you'll be rewarded with some of the best brisket of your life once you do.
Where are the best places to get breakfast in New Mexico?
If you want to start your day out right, here are a few fantastic places to get breakfast in New Mexico:
- Palacio Café is a small but busy spot that serves breakfast all day. Make sure you try out the breakfast tacos!
- Old Mesilla Pastry Factory, AKA The Shed is the perfect little hole-in-the-wall greasy spoon. Don't miss out on the breakfast enchiladas.
- Cowboy Café is as kitschy as it is delicious, and its location in Roswell leads to interesting creations like an "alien omelet."
Are there any theme restaurants in New Mexico?
Nothing beats eating a good meal in style. Though it may feel a little cheesy, theme restaurants are a lot of silly fun and the food is worth it! Here are some of the most fun theme restaurants in New Mexico:
- Flying J Ranch offers a Cowboy-themed dining experience with a musical revue, fiddlers, and even a gunfight show.
- McDonald's, yup, you heard me right, there is an alien-themed Mcdonald's in Roswell that kids and kids at heart alike are sure to love.
- St. James Tearoom offers themed teas around different British books like Chronicles of Narnia or Pride and Prejudice.