New Jersey December 10, 2015
14 Life Lessons Everyone Learns Growing Up In New Jersey
Growing up in New Jersey, there are some things you catch onto pretty quickly. We’re lucky to learn some valuable life lessons at a young age. Life in our state isn’t always easy, but it’s worth it, and this list will hopefully give you some laughs.
1. The early bird gets the best parking spot.
At the beach or at the mall, this old adage rings true.
2. Pizza just isn't the same anywhere else.
You learned this on vacation when you were sorely disappointed.
3. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
When in South Jersey, say Pork Roll. When in North Jersey, say Taylor Ham. This is for your own safety/sanity.
4. Rush hour is no joke...
No one in New Jersey thinks... It's fine if I leave at 5 pm, it's only a few miles away. Pictured is the Garden State Parkway.
5. But when life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
Traffic can get interesting in our state. When accidents cause a standstill, people have been seen playing football and lounging on lawn chairs. Only in New Jersey... We're flexible, resilient, and know how to make the most out of what we've got.
6. Diners are magical.
Breakfast all day? Open all night? Is this real life?
7. Central Jersey is like Narnia. It only exists if you live there.
And to a special few outsiders that can see the light. The above photo was taken near Princeton... What part of the state is that in to you?
8. Be wary of Gunnison Beach.
You may get an eyeful of more than just incredible NYC views. The state's only legal nude beach, you may have stumbled upon it while visiting Sandy Hook.
9. Not everyone is as fortunate as we are...
To have gas station attendants. And all the other amazing things that come along with life in New Jersey.
10. The stars shine brightest on the darkest nights.
Us New Jerseyans are a tough and resilient bunch. Never underestimate us! Though mainly, I included this item on the list (taken in Barnegat) to prove we have stars... Unless you live in a NYC/Philly suburb. In that case, you learn another life lesson.
11. The imagination is a terrible thing to waste.
You may miss out on the stars a bit with all the city lights, but that plane could definitely be a meteor.
12. Not everyone will appreciate how awesome you are.
Sure, New Jersey is the butt of a couple jokes, but we know we're great. Fuggedaboutit.
13. Everything isn't always as it seems.
A left turn is rarely just a left turn, with all of our traffic circles and jug handles. The intersection of routes 70 and 73 is pictured.
14. The best things in life are free, the second best things are expensive.
Family, friends, and funny moments are free. Living in New Jersey is expensive, but worth it.
While this isn’t meant to be taken seriously, much of it is true in its own way. Did you get a kick out of this list? Which can you most relate to? What else would you add?