The Incredible Sand Dunes Every Nebraskan Must Explore
When most people think of sand dunes, they almost certainly don’t picture Nebraska. Our state is known as flat prairie land, and it seems that the rest of the country doesn’t really understand just what a unique place we have here. The Nebraska Sandhills cover about a quarter of the state, and they are absolutely magnificent.
There’s more to learn about the Sandhills themselves or on the spectacular Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway. Or just get out there and go for a long drive!
Crescent Lake National Wildlife Refuge is one of the many beautiful natural areas that you can explore out in the Sandhills. If you’ve been to any of these places, let us know about your experiences in the comments.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.
The Best Places In Nebraska
What are the top bucket list places to visit in Nebraska?
The top bucket list places to visit in Nebraska are:
- Smith Falls State Park. Located near Valentine, this is the tallest waterfall in the state and it is gorgeous.
- Agate Fossil Beds National Monument. These rolling grassy hills are where some major archaeological finds have been discovered.
- Scotts Bluff National Monument. These amazing rock formations jut out from the grasslands and make for an amazing view.
- Chimney Rock National Historic Site. This needle-shaped spire is quite a sight and is an iconic landmark in Nebraska.
Discover more about the top bucket list places to visit in Nebraska.
What are the most incredible natural wonders in Nebraska?
The most incredible natural wonders in Nebraska include:
- Toadstool Geologic Park. This is an otherworldly scene of strangely shaped rock formations that look unearthly.
- Indian Cave State Park. Located near Shubert, this is an ancient Native American hideout and has petroglyphs carved into the stone.
- Ashfall Fossil Beds. Tons of intact fossils have been found here due to a catastrophe that happened around 12 million years ago.
- Nebraska National Forest. This beautiful forest has amazing views and is teeming with wildlife.
Find out more about the most incredible natural wonders in Nebraska.
What are the coolest hidden-gem attractions in Nebraska?
The coolest hidden-gem attractions in Nebraska include:
- Mayhew Cabin. This was a stop along the Underground Railroad where escaped slaves stayed on their way to freedom.
- Legacy of the Plains Museum. This museum in Gering tells the history of local Native American Nations and the Westward Expansion.
- Panorama Point. This is the highest point of elevation in Nebraska but looks nearly as flat as its surroundings.
- University of Nebraska State Museum at Morrill Hall. Located at UNL campus, this is the largest natural history museum in the state.
Learn more about the coolest hidden-gem attractions in Nebraska.