This Native American Ceremonial Site Found In Indiana Is A Historical Wonder
Did you know we have Indian mounds in Indiana? Resting on the banks of the Ohio River in the southwest Hoosier State, you’ll find a beautiful and intriguing group of 11 “angel mounds.” These Indian mounds in Indiana were built thousands of years ago by Native Americans for various purposes. It’s said that this is one of the best-preserved Native American historical sites in all of North America. These are definitely the most interesting Indiana Indian mounds!
Take a delightful aerial tour of Angel Mounds State Historic Site right from your couch:
For more information about the site, visiting, and a deeper look at the history of these Indiana mounds, check out the Angel Mounds Historical Site official website.
Have you been to Angel Mounds in Indiana? Have you ever visited an ancient, historic ceremonial grounds or other Indian mounds in Indiana? Where was it? Tell us about it in the comments!
More to Explore
Mounds In Indiana
- Are there many Native American mounds in Indiana?
Amazingly, Indiana is home to a rich plethora of amazing Native American mound sites and earthworks - 1,183 sites that contain at least 2,100 earthworks, to be exact! The vast majority of these sites have unfortunately been damaged or nearly destroyed thanks to a multitude of factors like over-digging, development, and agriculture. However, there are some that are remarkably well-preserved, including the breathtakingly beautiful Angel Mounds. Interested in a road trip? Check out some of our neighbor Ohio’s ancient earthworks as well.
- What is the history of Indiana’s mysterious mounds?
Though not exactly “mysterious,” there is still a lot to be learned about the burial mounds in Indiana and many other places. What we do know about Angel Mounds, for example, is that it was occupied between A.D. 1000 and 1450 and likely had more than 1,000 residents. These folks were of the Mississippian culture and used the mounds for many different purposes, from traditional burials to elevating important structures and other things.
- What are some other interesting places to visit in Indiana?
Naturally, the mounds aren’t the only interesting places to visit in Indiana! There are so many more, no matter what your interests might be. Some other highly recommended things to do in Indiana include:
- Visit the covered bridges of beautiful Parke County, Indiana
- Check out any of our 24 breathtaking state parks – we strongly recommend Indiana Dunes National Park, too!
- Check out some of the cutest small towns in Indiana, like Shipshewana and Patriot
- Visit The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, which is the largest children’s museum in the world
- Explore Indiana’s amazing wine country – yes, that’s a thing!
Check out our attractions hub for hundreds of amazing ideas for things to do in Indiana!