These 9 Waterfalls In Hawaii Will Take Your Breath Away
From towering cascades you can only witness via helicopter tour, to short waterfalls that cascade into small pools you can swim in, the waterfalls you’ll find across the Hawaiian Islands are truly remarkable. And whether you’re enjoying an intense, eight-mile day hike or pulling into a parking lot on the side of the highway, these 9 gorgeous secret “waterfalls near me” in Hawaii are positively magical and should be added to your Hawaii outdoors bucket list at once. They each deserve a good view the next time you’re in the area and a place on the list of best waterfalls in Hawaii!
In a state with arguably the highest density of waterfalls in the United States, it is hard to limit this list, so tell us, which other secret waterfalls near me in Hawaii would you add to this list? What is your favorite Hawaiian waterfall? Perhaps it is one of these 11 Hawaiian waterfalls that will have you daydreaming about your next adventure? Sound off in the comments below! We want to hear about your favorite secret waterfalls in Hawaii.
More to Explore
Secret Waterfalls Near Me In Hawaii
Which Hawaiian Island has the most waterfalls?
While each of the main Hawaiian Islands is home to cascading waterfalls, there is perhaps nowhere will you find a greater selection of easy-to-find falls than off Maui’s notorious Hana Highway. In fact:
- A Hawaiian waterfall road trip was created for this very reason
- The road trip meanders down this well-known highway and stops at nine waterfalls
- The entire trip is just 44 miles.
And who knows, you may just spot another waterfall or two along the way worthy of pulling over for. Don’t forget your camera! Hana Highway belongs on everyone’s bucket list for sure. It’s the perfect day trip to add to a weekend vacation!
What is the tallest Hawaii waterfall?
The title of the tallest Hawaii waterfall goes to Oloupena Falls. A few facts about this giant waterfall:
- Measuring in at a whopping 2,953 feet tall, Oloupena Falls is the tallest Hawaii waterfall
- It is also considered to be the fourth tallest waterfall in the entire world
- Oloupena Falls is tucked away on the remote northern coast of Molokai
- It only flows seasonally
- It is only visible from the ocean or the air
Molokai is actually home to many of the world’s tallest waterfalls. Two of the three tallest waterfalls in the United States are all located on the island of Molokai. It’s a very impressive island when it comes to Hawaii’s natural features!
What are the best waterfall hikes in Hawaii?
It’s true that while you’ll find several Hawaii waterfalls hiding in plain sight — no hiking required — there are even more that are found off-the-beaten-path and only accessible via hiking trails.
- The trail to Hawaii Island’s famous 442-foot Akaka Falls is short and sweet.
- Though short in stature, Waimea Falls on the island of Oahu is not only tucked away in a picturesque botanical garden but you can actually swim there.
- Kauai’s Uluwehi Falls requires not only a hike but a kayak excursion as well.
There are so many great ways to explore waterfall hikes in Hawaii that it’s hard to narrow them down to just these. Keep exploring and let us know which ones you love the best!