5 Lakeside Beaches In Georgia That’ll Make You Feel Like You’re At The Ocean
Don’t feel like driving all the way to the ocean for a beach day in Georgia? No problem. There are several lakeside beaches in Georgia that will still make you feel like you’re at the ocean! Here in Georgia, you don’t need to head to the coast to find warm sand and cool water; you can simply hit up the lakeside beach scene for an equally resplendent way to stay refreshed. Whether you’re relaxing lakeside in Lake Lanier or enjoying the giant swimming beach at Fort Yargo, here are the best lakes with beaches in Georgia that will have you feeling like you’re at the ocean.
Have you ever been to these lakeside beaches in Georgia before? Share with us your experience in the comments section! Or if you have more lakefront beaches that are work checking out, keep us in the loop!
And for more spectacular lakes in The Peach State, these nine are the most picture-perfect in Georgia.
More to Explore
Best Beaches In Georgia
Where are the best beaches in Georgia?
The best beaches in Georgia include the following:
- For a quiet retreat, Darien, Georgia is one of the premier waterfront spots in the state, and also a hidden gem for many. With scenic views, waterfront parks, historical monuments, and entertainment for all ages, this is the perfect weekend getaway trip for summer vacation. Southern charm, an adorable downtown, and one of the best beaches in the state make Darien a total gem.
- Brunswick is one of the most well-known and beloved beach towns in Georgia -- and for good reason. This port city is actually known as being the world shrimp capital, which only goes to show that there are quite a few opportunities for delicious seafood to be enjoyed. With whale-watching and dolphin-watching expeditions, this waterfront town is sure to be one for the books.
Check out these additional stunning beach towns.
Can you go swimming in Georgia State Parks?
Yes, you can go swimming at many Georgia State Parks. For a nominal parking fee, you can enjoy cooling off and picnicking all day at our state park's many sandy swimming beaches. Or better yet -- check out one of these splendid swimming spots in Georgia! Unicoi State Park in Helen is one of our favorite places to cool down in the summer; with over 1,000 acres to explore at this state park, plus an abundance of swimming opportunities, Unicoi is a hidden gem within the Georgia park system that will make any summer adventure complete.
What are some of the prettiest lakes in Georgia?
Some of the prettiest lakes in Georgia include:
- Lake Lanier is one of the most popular, and beautiful, lakes in the entire state. Created in 1956 after the Buford Dam was completed, this lake has easily become the go-to spot for many Georgians when the summer rolls around.
- Just north of Marietta is Lake Allatoona. This reservoir receives millions of people every year to take advantage of all the things you can do nearby. One of the main reasons people love Lake Allatoona is because it’s one of the bigger lakes around, with 12,000 acres and 270 miles of shoreline.
- For breathtaking lakeside sunsets, Lake Strom Thurmond is the place to be. The third-largest lake east of the Mississippi, this lake features a variety of marinas, parks, and campgrounds that make this lake a really incredible place to visit.
Check out these picture-perfect lakes in Georgia.