Alaska January 15, 2017
21 Things Every Alaskan Wants The Rest Of The Country To Know
Listen up, America: we know that there are a lot of misconceptions about our wildly illusive state, so we are here to set the record straight. There is a lot to love and a lot to fear in the mighty Last Frontier, but don’t worry – we got you covered. Although the allure of Alaska’s magical mountains and brilliant Aurora Borealis might leave you feeling like you are in la la land, the great 49th state is actually quite accessible to the outside world. Step right up and get ready to learn more about some commonly confused aspects regarding life in Alaska.
1. No, we don’t live in igloos.
What a wild real estate market that would be though, huh?
2. But with winter wonderland views this magical, we sometimes wish we did.
3. Even in our own home, we basically live with the wildlife.
Get on YouTube and you'll see bears, moose and lynx coming right up into neighborhood homes in the city. Life really is that wild up here.
4. For months on end the sun doesn’t really ‘go down’ in the summertime.
And we forget how to sleep.
5. And for many months during the winter, we are lucky if we see the sun at all.
It's true, vitamin D isn't really our wintertime specialty.
6. The wildlife and the Northern Lights don’t come out on a scheduled timer, so please stop asking.
Anyone who has worked in the tourism industry has been asked this question by visitors. It never ceases to amaze us!
7. If you’ve never tasted a reindeer dog from Alaska, you’re missing out.
So much juicy deliciousness.
8. You can never go wrong with an Alaskan made product.
Alaska Chip Company? Yes please. We also make great chocolate, wine, syrup, etc.
9. The gold rush is not dead.
Heck no it's not. Gold panning is still a very popular recreational activity that Alaskans love to enjoy.
10. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using your hand as a map.
In fact, Alaska is perfectly shaped to do such a thing!
11. Despite what the media says, Alaska isn’t really the most dangerous place in America.
When you look at Alaska's crime on a per capita basis, the lower 48 is a much scarier place to be.
12. Yes, there are places in the state where the bears outnumber the humans.
If you've even been to Admiralty Island, you know exactly what we're talking about. Yikes!
13. Don’t even try complaining to us about the weather in your state.
We don't even want to hear it!
14. You might think you have mountains in your state, but they are just hills compared to ours.
Just one look and you'll completely understand. Plus it's no big deal or anything but we also have North America's tallest peak; Denali!
15. Fishing in Alaska will ruin you for life.
Anyone who has ever caught a king salmon, rainbow trout or massive halibut in Alaska knows exactly what we are talking about.
16. The 'bush' is a place where people live.
And to us, they look mighty happy living there as well. Villages in Alaska sure do know about embracing a pure, happy quality of life free from the rat race.
17. We fly in otters.
Plus our otters have pretty cool floats, too.
18. Bunny boots actually keep our toes from falling off.
For the humans, not the four legged fur balls. Although their boots are much cuter than our bunny boots.
19. We are actually king of the country when it comes to having that whole ‘island life’ thing down.
Don't think of Alaska as an island paradise? Think again. With 2,670 islands to be exact - we'd say that we are definitely WINNING in this category.
20. The extension cords hanging out of our vehicles aren't because we all drive Prius'.
Actually, they are to keep our motors from seizing up in the winter.
21. That saying about how ‘real Alaska’ begins when you leave the city, well… it’s true.
I mean, the proof is in the puddin'...
For another great read, check out
these 22 things that Alaskans miss terribly when they leave home. You’ll also enjoy these 25 things that are actually really frustrating about living in Alaska.