Alaska December 13, 2016
15 Very Rare Photos Taken During WWII In Alaska
As the saying goes, “you can’t get to where you’re going without remembering where you’ve been.” These phenomenal photos taken during World War II between 1939 and 1945 in Alaska are truly a breathtaking blast from the past. Not only is it humbling to see how these brave soldiers survived with so little, but it is utterly awe-inspiring to see the strength and courage in every single person’s eyes during such a traumatic time in history. Get ready to be amazed…
1. Soldiers and personnel play dice in the Seabee barracks in Alaska. A Seabee is a member of the U.S. Naval Construction Forces.
2. This rare WWII photo is of ships and skiffs gathered in the harbor on a cloudy afternoon in Alaska.
3. Here, a rowdy group of competitive soldiers square off in a football championship game in Alaska.
4. Afterwards, the football champions gathered for a group photo with their medals. This rare photo was taken on November 12, 1944.
5. Here, a WWII baseball team of soldiers practiced in an empty field in Adak, Alaska.
6. After a long day's work, this group of six soldiers took a rare moment to breath and take in a sunshine view while relaxing on the hillside in Adak, Alaska.
7. Gathered here is a large military formation with six-foot tall spotlights that were used to find enemy aircrafts and vessels to destroy with coastal artillery weapons. This rare photo was taken in 1941.
8. Here is an up close and personal look at the massive spotlights with soldiers gathered around. You can really tell just how big these tools are by how small the soldiers look standing next to them.
9. This incredible photo was taken in 1943 of a soldier in combat in Alaska.
10. This fascinating photo is of a building that was originally a hotel but was later converted into a military hospital. Later it was bombed during a Japanese raid and nearly destroyed. Then, 68 men made repairs and nearly rebuilt the structure from the ground up.
11. Alaska has always been known for its prolific salmon streams, and the WWII era was no exception. This happy soldier proudly posed for a photo with his freshly-caught salmon.
12. This rare WWII photo taken in 1941 is of soldiers at training camp putting up "pup tents" and practicing working on all sorts of field equipment.
13. These four brave soldiers that fought in WWII gathered around for a photo in the wood shop. These shops were used to create all sorts of tools, furniture, supplies and so much more.
14. This stoic looking soldier paused peacefully for a photo on board a wooden boat during WWII while stationed in Dutch Harbor. These simple boats were used for transportation and for field work.
15. This group of soldiers who fought bravely and courageously during WWII took a moment to pose for a picture in front of a rail car in Alaska. The railroad was a primary source of transportation for soldiers and it was also used heavily for the transporting of goods, supplies and weaponry.
If you have a knack for history, you’ll love the story about
the oldest restaurant in Alaska with a truly unique and incredible history. Also, these 12 unbelievable ruins in Alaska will completely transport you to the past.