While the South may be famous for BBQ, Vermont has a few places that serve up some dishes that would impress any fine Southerner. Whether your taste buds prefer sweet or savory, there is a BBQ joint out there in Vermont that you’re sure to love.
1. Localfolk Smokehouse, 9 VT Rt. 17, Waitsfield
If you like a rustic scene, do what the locals do and head over for some great BBQ and dirty mashed potatoes. Smoked wings? Yes, please!
2. Vermont Maple BBQ, 17 S Main St. Randolph, VT
Even 2-foot-long icicles can't stop the VT Maple BBQ from making some of the tastiest, melt in your mouth meals. Who knew you could find mind blowing awesome authentic BBQ in rural Vermont?
3. Route 4 Country Store, 3699 E Woodstock Rd., Hartford
You can find a little bit of everything in a Vermont country store, but if you don't think you can find great BBQ, think again. Everything here is smoked onsite and people travel from all over to get a taste. Absolutely delicious.
4. Prohibition Pig, 23 S Main St., Waterbury
"The Pig" does just about everything right, so if you're looking for some of the best BBQ, sauce head to this favorite in Waterbury. Be sure to pair your BBQ with the duck fat fries. Oh, and yes, it's worth the wait!
5. Berdas Roadside Eatery, 197 Pearl St., Essex
Food trucks may not look like much, but the food is tasty and the portions are huge at Berdas.
6. Black Diamond Barbecue Catering, Elmore/Stowe
These guys cater a mean BBQ. From family gatherings to weddings, the food is mouth watering good. You can also find them every Sunday at the Stowe Farmer's Market. The locals can't get enough - find out why!
7. Curtis’ All American Barbecue, 7 Putney Landing Rd., Putney
A wave and a smile from the man himself. Hi Curtis!
It's not just the smokey flavor that will stay in your mind at this no frills joint. Just thinking about the wonderful smells is amazing at this classic place.
8. Hazel, 75 Elliot St., Brattleboro
Get ready for a hearty plate of BBQ heaven at Hazel! The BBQ Combo Plate is a must try: 3 house-smoked St. Louis ribs, 3 house-smoked chicken wings, and your choice of 2 sides. Woah!
9. Kevin's Sports Pub & Restaurant, 27 Main St., North Bennington
The popular dish at this chef owned and operated place is Kevin's burger. Not sure if it's the beef, bacon or BBQ but boy is it good!
10. Back Behind Restaurant & BBQ, JCT Rt. 4 & 100 S, Killington
Get ready to have your mind blown with the 'Dino Ribs' which are beef ribs, that simply fall off the bone with a perfectly "burnt" BBQ flavor to them.
11. Big Fatty’s BBQ, 186 S Main St., White River Junction
If you're having trouble choosing what to order at Big Fatty's, get the sampler. A little of each goes a long way with their out of this world BBQ sauce.