A group of 11 incredible lakes that earned their name by resembling the fingers on a hand, the Finger Lakes region is one to be seen. Known by many for our delicious wine trails, we’re here to show you that there’s so much more to this area than just tasty adult beverages. From the obvious exciting water-based activities to our interesting history and gorgeous state parks, there’s always something here to keep you entertained.
Ready to add an entire region to your bucket list? Here are 12 reasons why you should drop everything and go visit the Finger Lakes:
1. You can start off your visit by treating your stomach to a trip on the Finger Lakes Cheese Trail!
Thankfully for us, the Finger Lakes Cheese Aliance has
put together a list
of 12 amazing places you should check out when it comes to Finger Lake cheese. Pictured above you can see cheese from the Muranda Cheese Company in Waterloo, one of the many popular places to visit along the trail!
2. And then obviously follow up your flavorful cheese with some extraordinary wine from the Finger Lakes Wine Trails.
Grapes, where would the Finger Lakes be without them? The
Seneca Lake Wine Trail
has been attracting visitors to this area since the late 1980s! The other trails you should absolutely check out? The Cayuga Lake & Keuka Lake Wine Trails!
3. The lakes alone are enough to keep you entertained for ages.
With 11 beautiful lakes all known for their own unique and charming qualities, there's plenty to keep you busy in and around the water. From peaceful days of fishing to exciting boat rides and swimming sessions, you'll grow to love these lakes quickly!
4. There are a
ton of unbelievable waterfalls waiting to be discovered.
Don't underestimate us using the term unbelievable, the waterfalls of the Finger Lakes will keep your jaws on the ground for days. From the 19 waterfalls at Watkins Glen to the towering Taughannock Falls and many more, there are so many flowing bodies of water that will steal your breath away! To check out our first New York waterfall road trip bringing you around the Finger Lakes,
5. Our fascinating museums will intrigue you.
One thing the Finger Lakes aren't lacking in is having a plentiful amount of interesting museums! Pictured above you can see one of the most popular museums to visit, the Corning Museum of Glass, one that should absolutely be on your bucket list.
6. There's nothing better than getting swept up in our gardens.
Sometimes our own residential backyard gardens don't cut it when it comes to enjoying some true downtime. Stretch your legs and explore the many gardens waiting for you in the Finger Lakes. Pictured above you can see the Cornell Plantations and Sonnenberg Gardens!
7. Fresh produce to fill up on? Count us in for the Farmers Markets!
If you've never made it to to any of the farmers markets in the Finger Lakers region, then you at least need to put the Ithaca Farmers Market on your bucket list. You won't regret it! For more information on this particular farmers market,
8. You won't experience anything quite like viewing this popular region from above in a hot air balloon ride.
Soar up into blue skies with the Liberty Balloon Company in Groveland, where you'll get to view New York in a remarkable way. To book your beautiful Finger Lake balloon ride,
9. Capturing our sunrises and sunsets against the magnificent lakes is something you'll never forget.
Pictured above you can see a stunning sunrise and sunset on Keuka Lake, our uniquely shaped Finger Lake!
10. There's nothing quite like enjoying a day at the Watkins Glen International race track.
Did you know this thrilling race track was right in Watkins Glen? An exciting gem of the Finger Lakes, you can
to check out the upcoming events.
11. Did we mention that our state parks are the perfect places to spend the day exploring?
From gorgeous Green Lakes to tranquil spaces that will make you never want to go back home, you'll enjoy adventuring through these beautiful spaces that Mother Nature has created within New York! Did we mention that there's over 16,000 acres of greenery to love with our Finger Lakes National Forest?
12. Our charming towns along the water are nothing short of warm and inviting.
After visiting any one of our small but exciting towns in the Finger Lakes, you'll want to stay here permanently if you aren't a resident already! Amazing places to eat, beautiful surroundings and plenty to keep you busy, what else could you need?
There’s nothing quite like spending time in the Finger Lakes in New York! What’s your favorite thing to do when you’re visiting this region of New York?