Wyoming December 26, 2016
12 Things Every True Wyomingite Does At Least Once Before They Die
Things are a little bit different here in Wyoming (and by different, obviously we mean waaay better). If you’re lucky enough to live here for your entire life, there are 12 things that we can pretty much guarantee you’ll do at one point or another. You might even do some of these things every week!
1. Wear a pair of cowboy boots to a formal occasion.
Cowboy boots with a formal gown? Even a wedding gown or a tuxedo? Of course!
2. Go to a rodeo and dream of trying it yourself.
The pros make it look so easy, don't they? A lucky few Wyomingites really do this stuff - the rest of us just dream about it.
3. Visit Yellowstone.
We're lucky enough to have the most beautiful national park in the country right in our own backyards.
4. Take visitors from out of town to Yellowstone.
Of course, every time a friend or relative from out of town comes to visit, they beg us to take them there, too. We're usually pretty good sports, and suffer through the traffic just to show off one of our state's gems.
5. Visit Mint Bar.
The iconic Mint Bar in Sheridan is the oldest in the entire state (built in 1907). It's a classic - inside and out - and definitely worth at least one visit.
6. Learn to shoot.
We love our guns - more than 68 percent of Wyoming residents own them - so odds are pretty good that you know how to load, carry and shoot one. Even if you're one of the remaining 32 percent that
doesn't own a gun, you've probably gone target shooting.
7. Go ice fishing.
Ice fishing is pretty much a given during the winter here. Sure, it's cold, but that's why we bundle up!
8. Hit a pronghorn or deer while driving.
Oh, those pesky pronghorn. They're likely to jump right out in front of vehicle at the most inopportune moments.
9. Complain about the wind.
We're pretty accustomed to the wind, but every once in awhile we like to complain about it anyway.
10. Visit Denver or Salt Lake City, then be really grateful to be home.
Most folks from Wyoming find themselves in Denver or Salt Lake at some point, but we sure are glad to be back home with our wide open spaces and less traffic.
11. Go to Frontier Days in Cheyenne and eat some fried Oreos.
Even if you don't live in Cheyenne, Frontier Days is worth the drive. And once you get there...fried Oreos!
12. Go through the drive-thru at Taco John's at 11:00 p.m., just to get some potato olés.
When you have a craving for some potato olés late at night, you hop in the car and hit the drive-thru right before they close. Because to wait until 7:00 a.m. the next morning just seems impossible.
Life in Wyoming is really unparalleled. Here are
16 reasons why my heart will always be in Wyoming.