Wisconsin Nature, On The Water November 11, 2017
by Nicole 17 Stunning Photos From Wisconsin That Prove Oceans Have Nothing On The Great Lakes
I once had a person ask me if I knew how to swim when they learned I was from Wisconsin. I’m not sure if they skipped the day in grade school when the Great Lakes were taught about, but for some reason folks from around the world seem to think that the lakes that frame out amazing state are somehow not as awesome as their name implies.
We know how truly great, beautiful and jaw-dropping Lake Michigan and Lake Superior can be, but it’s always nice to be reminded and to show off a bit for the folks that don’t know what they’re missing out on.
Stunning views, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, gorgeous water and more make the Great Lakes truly amazing and something we’re so proud and lucky to have be a part of our landscape. Sure, I wouldn’t mind the warmer weather being near an ocean usually brings, but otherwise I contend the Great Lakes are just as awesome as the ocean and I wouldn’t trade them for anything.
1. We're so lucky to have not one, but two Great Lakes forming part of our borders. Being on the shores of Lake Superior often feels like you're standing on the edge of the world. The remoteness lets you feel far, far away from the rush of real life.
2. Lake Michigan stretches from Indiana up to the UP and Wisconsin enjoys miles and miles of coastline. Here at Harrington State Beach, there's beautiful sandy spots bordered by a white cedar swamp.
3. Even in MIlwaukee's urban setting you can find spots of Lake Michigan Beach that can fool you into thinking you're a lot farther from home than you'd imagine. Bradford Beach shows off nicely in this shot.
4. Folks even surf in our Great Lakes. Both offer bigger waves than most people imagine. Here Lake Superior swirls up to trick the viewer.
5. The water seems to stretch as far as the eye can see off the tip of Cana Island in Door County.
6. Port Washington is reminiscent of fishing villages along the Atlantic Coast and it's breakwater and cotton candy sky look like something from Florida.
7. Kayaking, paddleboarding, boating and more happen on Lake Superior and Lake Michigan. This kayaker could be off the California coast based off this picture - but he's just cruising Lake Michigan instead.
8. The numerous lighthouses give the towns along the Great Lakes a northeastern feel. You feel like you could see a clam or lobster boat at every turn, but you're much more likely to see a fisherman here.
9. These sandy dunes on Lake Superior look like they could be from a beach in North Carolina. The different areas of lakefront in Wisconsin make you feel like you could have traveled to half the states in the Union. But you're all just right here in Wisconsin.
10. Limestone, sandstone and all kinds of other glacially formed rocks create super unusual and interesting outcroppings and caves. Wisconsin's unique geology makes our shorelines that much more beautiful and unlike anything you find anywhere else in the world.
11. It feels like this Lake Michigan sunrise could be happening on a much more crowded and popular beach somewhere in Florida.
12. When the water stretches for miles and you can't see the end of the lake, it's easy to be tricked into thinking you're looking at something different. We'll take our unique location that serves an important transportation function while providing us with some stunning scenery.
13. This isn't a harbor in Maine or even Alaska - it's in tiny Bayfield on Lake Superior. All the beautiful water and access, none of the city-slickers to ruin it!
14. The craggy cliffs of Lake Michigan formed by the Niagara Escarpment are totally unique to us. They're millions of years old and create a Wisconsin landscape unlike any other.
15. These beautiful Lake Superior views bring all the tranquility and peace of standing on an ocean beach, but none of the smog, pollution, or over-crowding.
16. You may only think of warm weather with ocean beaches, but there's a unique and awesome beauty to Lake Superior when it freezes and winter sets in. And getting to walk out and explore areas previously inaccessible thanks to the ice is a totally amazing thing you won't find elsewhere.
17. These Great Lakes offer you all the recreation and beauty you can handle right here in our backyard. Who wouldn't fall in love with the Great Lakes?
Want to learn more about how the Great Lakes can feel like visiting the ocean? Check out
8 Stunning Wisconsin Beaches That Look And Feel Like The Ocean.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.