West Virginia June 11, 2017
11 Foolproof Ways To Make Someone From West Virginia Cringe
Here in West Virginia, we take great pride in living in our state. Sometimes it seems the rest of the country just doesn’t get it. Here are a few grating things that will most definitely make us West Virginians cringe.
1. Seeing people who don't know how to drive on our roads.
Our famous country roads are probably a bit narrower than most people are used to, so don't run us off the road! You may also need to accelerate in advance to make it up the mountain slopes. Driving in the Mountain State is a special art form.
2. Hitting those inevitable pot holes in the spring.
Our intense seasons do quite a bit of damage to the roads, but we can't imagine living in a place that has the same weather all year round. Still, it's pretty jarring when you hit one of these unexpectedly.
3. When we can't find pepperoni rolls anywhere else.
Other states just don't appreciate what they are missing.
4. Being offered hot dogs with only mustard and ketchup.
They can't come close to a WV dog with chili sauce and/or slaw.
5. Watching people jump off the New River Gorge Bridge.
It's thrilling and a little scary to even just watch this from the sidelines. Fortunately most of the jumpers make it without injury.
6. When people assume we're all uneducated hillbillies.
You'll find all types of people here in West Virginia, and most of us are pretty smart!
7. "How close are you to Richmond?"
Not at all close. In a whole different state, actually.
8. When people say "Appa-lay-sha."
Most of us pronounce it "Appa-LATCH-uh."
9. When people make jokes about how we marry our cousins.
Cousin marriage is actually illegal in West Virginia.
10. Hearing "there's nothing to do in West Virginia."
The state has no shortage of outdoor activities, great dining, fascinating museums, and fun festivals. Look around, and realize you'll never get bored!
11. The thought of living anywhere else in the world.
Nothing can match the beauty of our great state. Anytime we leave, we always hurry back!
For more about life in West Virginia, read about the
9 strange habits every West Virginian will defend to the death.