West Virginia December 22, 2015
15 Things Everyone MUST DO In West Virginia In 2016
New Year’s Day is quickly approaching. That means it’s time to get your New Years Resolutions in order. If you’re looking to experience more of West Virginia this year, here are 15 things you should put on your list to do:
1. Hike the Endless Wall Trail
Check out fantastic views like this one on the trail that USA Today readers voted the Best National Park Hike in 2015.
2. Try fresh ramps at the Feast of the Ramson in Richwood.
Ramps are a spring time favorite in West Virginia and what better place to have some than the state’s longest-running ramp feed? Food includes ham, cornbread and sassafras tea.
3. Get colorful at the World’s Happiest Event in Moundsville
The Festival of Colors is an Indian cultural event that promotes peace, love and unity. Check it out in September at the Palace of Gold in Moundsville.
4. Have a cold beverage at Huntington’s Rails & Ales Festival
2016's event will be Aug. 13 at Harris Riverfront Park.
5. Try the food at Wheeling's famous Coleman’s Fish Market
One of most well known restaurants in the state.
6. Check out the annual West Virginia Italian Heritage Fest
Clarksburg is home to one of the state’s largest festivals, the West Virginia Italian Heritage Fest.
7. Catch some golf at the Greenbrier Classic
This PGA tournament at the Greenbrier resort is fun even if you don’t like the sport. Plus you might run into some celebrities.
8. Take a selfie with Mothman
So you’ve never been to the Mothman museum in Point Pleasant or seen the statue that bears his resemblance? It’s time to acquaint yourself with this West Virginia legend.
9. Take a train ride into history on Cass Scenic Railroad
10. Catch a live recording of Mountain Stage
You’re bound to discover some great music at any of these events, held on some Sunday nights at the Culture Center Theatre in Charleston.
11. Scary yourself silly at the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum
Take a ghost tour, or better yet a historical tour of this old psychiatric hospital in Weston.
12. Spend some time at Dolly Sods
Just because it’s beautiful.
13. Channel your inner child at the State Fair of West Virginia
Held each summer in Lewisburg.
14. Explore the night sky at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory
Go stargazing through optical telescopes at this Star Gazing Party at the Greenbank telescope.
15. Try the buckwheat pancakes at the Bavarian Inn
This country inn is known for their award-wining German and American food prepared by master chefs.
What are you planning to see and do in West Virginia this coming year? Let me know in the comments!