Washington July 27, 2015
15 Things You’ll Remember If You Grew Up in Washington
Whether you grew up in the ’70s, ’80s, ’90s, or early 2000s, childhood memories probably give you a warm fuzzy feeling all over. And there’s no better place to spend your early days than right here in Washington! Everyone has varied experiences depending on their generation, but if you grew up around our Evergreen state you might remember any of these 15 things from the preceding years:
1. Smokey The Bear
Only YOU can prevent wildfires.
2. When you got your first Northface or Columbia jacket.
Because we're all about comfortability. (And style.)
3. The Kingdome...and you "Refuse to Lose."
The Mariners 1995 season was truly one to remember.
4. Making an explosive volcano for science class.
Also, when Mount St. Helens erupted. Where were you on May 18, 1980?
5. Learning about Lewis & Clark expeditions.
Pretty interesting stuff. The explorers entered our Northwest state on October 10, 1805.
6. Hearing, "Due to a major snowstorm, school will be cancelled today." But then you looked outside and...
Really? Major snowstorm? We just don't handle it quite like Montana or North Dakota...but you'd never hear us complaining about missing school either!
7. Your first concert.
Nothing quite compares to the moment when you saw your favorite artist(s) walk on stage in person for the first time! Between the Gorge, Tacoma Dome and more, our state's abundant with exciting venues.
8. Kurt Cobain
Speaking of concerts - whether you were into Nirvana or not, you probably remember when the Aberdeen native's band became big in the early 90s. There's been a lot of commotion about the musician more recently since the release of this year's documentary about his life, "Montage of Heck".
9. "Doing the Puyallup" every year, or any fair in your area!
Cotton candy and carnival games NEVER get old!
10. J.P. Patches
Seattle entertainer Chris Wedes portrayed the clown on this children's show on KIRO Channel 7 twice a day every weekday for 23 years (even on Saturdays) from 1958-1981.
11. Bill Nye The Science Guy
Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill! Our favorite scientist kicked off his career here in Seattle at Boeing and his quirky, yet educational science shows in the 90s made for a fun day in class.
12. The first time you smelled the Aroma of Tacoma
And if you haven't, be thankful!
13. Winter break = skiing, snowboarding, and/or sledding time!
Once school let out for the holidays, you'd never have a dull moment heading up to the mountains or if we were lucky that year, just on top of a snowy hill!
14. Becoming annoyed as you realized that you'll ALWAYS have to explain "not Washington D.C." and "not Seattle" when trying to tell people where you're from.
It's going to be like this...forever? People just won't understand?
15. Taking state standardized tests (like the WASL) and seeing signs at school like these.
Why?? Why did we have to take these?
Ahh, nostalgia! What are some of your favorite memories from growing up in our state?