Virginia August 12, 2015
18 Things You Must Know About Dating Someone From Virginia
So…you want to date a Virginian, do you? Or better yet, maybe you already are. If you’re from Virginia yourself, then maybe you’ve got it all figured out. But if you happen to be from out of state, then there are a few things you should know. Just remember, there’s a reason they say Virginia is for Lovers….
During these uncertain times, please keep safety in mind and consider adding destinations to your bucket list to visit at a later date.
1. We are smart. Very smart.
Not trying to brag, but it’s true. We have some of the top colleges and universities at our fingertips – not to mention some of the best k-12 schools in the nation. So consider yourself lucky -- or warned.
2. We love nothing more than a good adventure.
We’ve been climbing mountains and catching waves since we could walk…hope you’re up for it.
3. We know how to mind our manners and you should, too.
Our mamas raised us right. So mind your p’s and q’s or you’ll have mama to answer to.
4. We may be Southern belles and Virginia gentlemen, but tread lightly, because, bless your heart, we can throw a backhanded compliment faster than you can say, “ouch.”
This needs no explanation. Just think twice before you mess with us.
5. We love our history…and don’t mind a little role play.
We believe that history is best when it comes to life.
6. When it comes to music, we know how to make you happy.
Virginia has proudly brought you Ella Fitzgerald, Patsy Cline, Pharrell Williams and Dave Matthews. Just to name a FEW. Trust us, we know good music.
7. And don’t even ask us if we like to dance….
The answer is yes…anytime, anywhere.
8. We might love our dog (or cat) more than we love you. But once you’re ok with that, you can be ok with anything.
We like to think of it as building character. Yours, not ours, of course. But Virginians love their animals – we are a state full of SPCAs, shelters, dog parks and pet-friendly establishments. In fact, the Animal Legal Defense Fund ranks Virginia in their top tier for animal protection laws and WalletHub.com ranked Richmond #5 on their 2014 list of best cities for pet lovers.
9. Sun’s out? Fun’s on.
There are few things we love more than getting outside and having a party. Festivals, races, concerts or backyard barbecues. The second the sun is out, it's go time.
10. We can be slightly competitive.
Well, maybe just a little more than slightly. But the best things in life are worth working for, right? So you'll come to appreciate our drive to win. Most of the time.
11. But don't worry, we don’t take ourselves TOO seriously.
No point in competing if you don’t look good doing it, right?
12. Except when it comes to college football season…
13. and basketball…
14. and baseball…
15. You must love food.
No, really. You MUST love food. We like to eat and our state is full of amazing traditional foods, gourmet restaurants and down-home comfort food. As you can see, this is completely in your favor. You’re welcome.
16. We can complain about Virginia. You cannot. Ever. Under any circumstances.
Look, we know Virginia isn’t perfect. But that doesn’t mean you can ever say anything about it. And if we do, your only job is to smile, nod and say “yes dear.” Go ahead and write that down.
17. We are all about a good happy hour.
We love our award-winning vineyards and breweries…and we’re pretty sure you will, too.
18. If you know only one thing, then know this. Virginia is for Lovers.
The state slogan, “Virginia is for Lovers”, was adopted in 1969. Originally, the campaign said things like “Virginia is for History Lovers”, “Virginia is for Mountain Lovers” and “Virginia is for Beach Lovers.” But soon it simply became “Virginia is for Lovers," encompassing all of these things and more. And while it’s become one of the most well-known state slogans in the country, it still means the same thing to us today. Virginians love their home state – and all that it stands for.
All in all, you could do a lot worse than to date – or marry – a Virginian. Have we left anything off the list? Tell us your favorite or most unique thing about being with a Virginian in the comments below!