Texas June 26, 2017
11 Things Longtime Texans Wish They Could Tell Newcomers
We do things differently here in Texas. As a result, transplants (people who move here from out-of-state) have a hard time understanding our ways and end up sticking out like a sore thumb. If only we could tell every newcomer these 11 things, I’m sure the state would run much smoother.
1. Everything is bigger here because we made it that way.
Our state capitol is bigger than the original in D.C. Does that make us obnoxious? Maybe a little bit - but we don't care.
2. Real chili doesn't have beans in it.
We don't care how you do it "back home." It was invented here, so it's our way or the highway.
3. This is the minimum speed limit regardless of what the sign says.
And if you even think about going less than this in the fast lane, be prepared to move over before you're mowed down by the truck in your rear view mirror.
4. Yes, this is a normal size for a gas station.
It takes a lot of room to fit food, souvenirs, and the world's cleanest restrooms all under one roof!
5. If you've never had Texas barbecue, you've never had barbecue.
Sorry to bash your state's cooking methods, but we're the ultimate pit masters and we aren't afraid to say it.
6. We take manners very seriously here.
So hold doors for the people behind you, refer to your elders as "ma'am" and "sir," and never chew with your mouth open. Got it? Good.
7. All soda is "coke" to us.
So don't be surprised when your waiter asks "what kind?" when you order one at dinner.
8. We eat tacos all day long.
Breakfast tacos are sort of a delicacy here.
9. Food just tastes better when it's shaped like Texas.
Waffles, tortilla chips, cheese...the list goes on. Have you ever seen a Wyoming shaped waffle? No, because it would be a boring square. Texas forever.
10. We measure distance in hours, not miles.
When your state is 900 miles across, all you care about is how long it's gonna take you to get somewhere.
11. We wear some odd things in the winter.
You never know if you're gonna need a parka or shorts in the middle of December - so why not wear both?
We can’t hide how proud we are to be Texans. Check out
this article for more reasons why our state is the best.
Can you relate to these 11 things? What else do you wish you could tell newcomers to Texas?