Dallas - Fort Worth October 11, 2017
14 Things People From Dallas – Fort Worth Always Have To Explain To Out Of Towners
If you’re visiting Dallas – Fort Worth for the first time, chances are you’ve come with a mighty big list of misconceptions about our area. Some are the fault of a robust tourist industry here, who really do go on about our rich history. Other explanations are needed on account of how much we love to brag about our great state and area we call the Metroplex. Here are 14 things we have to constantly explain:
1. We don't all relive the days of the Wild West around here.
While there are tourist attractions and museums of our bygone Wild West days, today's Dallas - Fort Worth residents may have little in common with the cowboys and cowgirls of yesteryear.
2. Many of us have never even been on a horse.
That doesn't keep us from enjoying a rodeo or a two-step on occasion, however.
3. Dallas has a very different identity...
4. ...from Fort Worth.
While only 33 miles apart, the two cities have distinct vibes and interests, which make the area even more of an interesting place to live and work. But the Trinity River is a common bond that brings enjoyment throughout the area.
5. The Dallas Cowboys' football stadium is in Arlington. And the team's practice facility is in Frisco. Go figure!
6. We don't all drive pickup trucks.
Our automobile choices are as diverse as the people who live here.
7. And we definitely don't talk s-l-o-w-l-y.
But we are not above using "howdy" and "y'all" in our conversations... sometimes even in the same sentence.
8. We are definitely NOT simple people.
Folks from DFW are complex, with many layers of interest and activities. You just never know what will pique our interest or what opinion we may have. Be warned: we are also not afraid to share what we think is right.
9. Our weather patterns drive even us locals crazy.
We can experience all four seasons in a day and don't even get flustered during spring tornado season or warnings of hail. What does excite us? A chance of snow!
10. It's no exaggeration. It gets really hot here in the summers!
This laser pyrometer pointed at a spot in the open sun shows how hot it
feels during August. While we can get into triple digits and upward towards 110-degrees at times, thankfully we haven't experienced actual temps this hot!
11. Women typically don't wear big hair, either.
Our Texas women are bold and beautiful, but the big-hair reputation has simply got to go!
12. We still exude genuine ol' fashioned Texas charm and manners, however.
Saying "ma’am," "sir" and "please" isn’t an act. It’s how we were raised. Doors are opened for others as a courtesy... by both genders!
13. Tex-Mex is a far cry from Mexican food.
Don't ask us to explain the difference. Come try it for yourself to truly understand.
14. A stop at a Texas-only Buc-cee's always makes us jump for joy.
If you have to ask what a Beaver Nugget is, it's obvious you haven't experienced this Texas wonder!
What other things do locals have to explain about Dallas – Fort Worth to out-of-towners? Please comment below!