South Dakota History August 09, 2021
11 Historic Photos That Show Us What It Was Like Living In South Dakota In The Early 1900s
You have studied South Dakota history and have read all the books there are to read about our Native American, mining, and railroad past, but have you SEEN what it looked like? Today, we are excited to share a few rare glimpses from the past via these 11 historical photos that show us what it was like living in SoDak in the early 1900s:
1. When you visit Chamberlain today, you will find the iconic Dignity sculpture, plus the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, delicious restaurants, unique shopping, and welcoming residents. While the museum and statue are newer, you would still find much to be the same in town back in 1911.
2. It's hard to believe that we are only a few generations removed from horse and wagon being the norm! That's exactly the mode of transportation these suffragists used to get around a mere 100 years ago (1920).
3. Even in 1910, Downtown Aberdeen was the place to be!
4. This shot of "Andrew Standing Soldier, Sioux Indian, painting mural in auditorium, OD School, Pine Ridge" may be nearing the mid-1900s (1940) but is stunning nonetheless.
5. 1900 Deadwood was chock-full of mines, homes, saloons, brothels, and other various businesses.
6. Speaking of mines, here is a shot of SoDak's biggest and most prosperous mine: the Homestake Mine in Lead (c. 1900).
7. This is a shot that should resonate with everyone (especially this time of year) - harvest in SoDak! This shot was taken near Brookings, 1905.
8. The South Dakota State Capitol, 1919.
9. From the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs: "Family camp near Kenel, South Dakota" (1939).
10. Another inspiring shot of history-changing suffragists (via the staff of South Dakota's suffrage school (1918).
11. Target < Bee Hive Co. Clothing Story, Sioux Falls (1910).
For even more fascinating SoDak history, check out these
8 Insane Things That Happened In South Dakota You Won’t Find in History Books. Address: South Dakota, USA
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.