Five Different Planets Will Align In The South Dakota Night Sky During An Incredibly Rare Display
It’s time to set your alarm clocks for star gazing in South Dakota, as a truly incredible and rare celestial event is now occurring in our nighttime sky! Do you have your coffee, bathrobe, and camera ready? Then you are set to see the five different planets aligning over the night sky in South Dakota:
Do you have a favorite event (celestial or otherwise), attraction, or restaurant that you would like to see on Only in South Dakota? Remember to nominate it! For the perfect spot to observe this incredible event in the night sky, you will want to check out this amazing observatory in South Dakota. It is said to be one of the best in the world! And be sure to let us know all about your experience if you plan to go out and admire this phenomenon.
More to Explore
Nighttime Adventures in South Dakota
Where are the best places to go camping in South Dakota?
Pack up your tent or gas up the RV and head to one of these amazing spots for the best camping in South Dakota:
- Badlands National Park is unlike any other and camping here among the odd rock formations is an experience unlike any other.
- At Big Sioux Recreation Area you can camp with your tent or RV and the sound of the river next to you is the perfect thing to send you off to sleep!
- Spearfish Canyon offers waterfalls, canyons, and swimming holes. You will definitely want to spend more than a day here so why not set up a tent?
Are there any dark sky parks in South Dakota?
If you want to be able to see the night sky at her best, bring a blanket and a loved one to one of these dark sky parks in South Dakota for a dreamy date:
- The Crow Flies High State Recreation Area overlooks Lake Sakakawea and is one of the darkest places in the whole state. The show the night sky puts on here will take your breath away.
- Badlands National Park, with its wide open land also offers an ideal opportunity to gaze up at the stars.
Which state parks in South Dakota Should I visit?
Whether you are looking to relax by the water or take a big hike, the state parks in South Dakota have got your back. Here are a few of the best:
- Newton Hills State Park is home to over 200 species of birds, making the ideal spot for avian enthusiasts to explore.
- Palisades State Park has tons of massive rock formations and glorious cliffs to admire. It's much loved among rock climbers.
- Sicca Hollow State Park is a national cultural landmark, and for good reason. The natural beauty that fills the space is hard to beat and there are rumors the space has seen so much history that it's haunted!