South Carolina Dining June 20, 2016
15 Mom & Pop Restaurants In South Carolina That Serve Home Cooked Meals To Die For
Collard greens, grits and southern fried chicken. These are the backbone of the menu at most mom and pop restaurants in South Carolina, but there are exceptions. We’ve compiled a list of some of the best Mom & Pop eateries in the Palmetto State. Prepare to get hungry.
1. Aunny's Country Kitchen - 926 Front St, Georgetown, SC 29440
Aunny's has been voted the best down home cooking in Georgetown. We can certainly see why. Check out this pork chop, squash casserole and the collards....oh, the collards. Try 'em for yourself.
2. Wade's Family Restaurant - 1000 N Pine St, Spartanburg, SC 29303
Wade's is one of the longest-running Mom & Pop restaurants in the state. They've been dishing up great old-fashioned southern comfort food in the Spartanburg area since 1947. Natives will tell ya you just can't go wrong at Wade's.
3. Hoskins Restaurant - 405 Main St, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582
Fresh seafood, steaks and fried chicken like your momma used to make are a specialty at Hoskins. This mom and pop establishment is still in the same family and same location as when it started in 1948.
4. Olde House Cafe - 1274 Bells Hwy #920, Walterboro, SC 29488
Olde House has a buffet that's a winner with delicious food at a reasonable price. We love their motto, "County cookin' makes you good lookin'."
5. Eva's on Main - 129 S Main St, Summerville, SC 29483
Eva's opened on Main more than 70 years ago. Even though the legendary matriarch of this small restaurant passed away five years ago, the spirit of her down home cooking lives on at this old established mom and pop in Summerville.
More info and hours.
6. Ruth's Drive In - 659 W Carolina Ave, Hartsville, SC 29550
Ruth's first opened their doors way back in 1945. Great down-home cookin' at super reasonable prices keeps 'em coming back again and again to Ruth's.
7. Mary's Cafe - 1349 Firetower Rd, Rock Hill, SC 29730
Mary and her husband Van Vu opened their doors in 1995 serving up home-style mom and pop meals. Mary's is a favorite of both locals and visitors to the Rock Hill area.
8. Howard's Restaurant - 336 E Main St, Moncks Corner, SC 29461
Howard's plates up southern soul food and traditional american fare. Plus, they've been around for more than 50 years. Check them out in Moncks Corner.
9. Bill and Fran's Restaurant - 11724 SC-34, Newberry, SC 29108
Newberry folks have been gathering for home cooking at Bill and Fran's since 1977. Good food and southern hospitality are the hallmarks of Bill and Fran's Restaurant.
10. Mama Penn's Restaurant - 2802 N Main St, Anderson, SC 29621
Good home-style cookin' and southern-style hospitality are exactly what you'll find at Mama's. It's hard to believe this restaurant has been serving Anderson since 1977. Find out the secret to their longevity.
11. Dye's Gullah Fixins - 840 William Hilton Pkwy, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
(inside the office building)
The owner of Dye's was born and raised in a household of Gullah cuisine. Get traditional home-style lowcountry meals at Dye's.
12. Old Macdonald Fish Camp - 355 Currytown Rd, North Augusta, SC 29860
Famous for many things, including an all-you-can-eat hushpuppies and grits bar. This family-owned restaurant has been serving fresh seafood in North Augusta since 1977.
13. Yoder's Dutch Kitchen - 809 E Greenwood St, Abbeville, SC 29620
Pennsylvania Dutch style home cooking in the South? You bet. Yoder's has been at it for nearly 40 years and the folks in Abbeville love it.
14. Poppy's Burgers & Subs - 3290 US-17 BUS, Murrells Inlet, SC 29576
Possibly the newest "Mom and Pop" restaurant on the list, Poppy's in Murrell's Inlet is the family dream of John and Lisa Canney. They moved to the Grand Strand area about five years ago and have been feeding families home-style burgers and subs ever since.
15. Oliver's Restaurant - 1301 US-501 BUS, Conway, SC 29526
Whoa. Look at those Chili Cheese Fries. Oliver's has been family-owned and operated in Conway since 1964. That's how many servings of these Chili Cheese Fries?
South Carolina has a plentiful list of Mom & Pop restaurants. Where’s your favorite? It’s possible we didn’t list them all so feel free to add your fave in our comments.