Portland June 14, 2017
13 Things That Come To Everyone’s Mind When They Think Of Portland
Everyone has something different come to mind when they think of the City of Roses. Depending on your experiences in and with the city, you form your own impression, but these are some of the biggest takeaways from our city.
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life. While we continue to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, please take proper precautions or add them to your bucket list to see at a later date. If you know of a local business that could use some extra support during these times, please nominate them here:
1. No list is complete without mentioning our unofficial motto: Keep Portland Weird.
Weirdness is one of our most well-known exports and dare I say we revel in it.
2. Well, that and beer.
We are a craft beer powerhouse, and our reputation speaks for itself.
3. Food carts.
...and our immense love for them is also a draw for out-of-towners and us come lunch time.
4. People also tend to associate Portland with an urban farming movement.
Whether its chickens, goats, vegetables, or fruit, many Portlanders not-so-secretly want to be homesteaders, and many more are on the path.
5. Like it or not, we are a strip club heaven.
If you like hitting the strip club, you are in luck in Portland, as we have more strip clubs per capita than anywhere in the US.
6. Amazing festivals with picturesque views are just another day of life in the summer in Portland.
Whether you attend any of the myriad of events on the Waterfront, your local street fair, or a neighborhood block party, summer is festival time and our festivals are some of the best.
7. Greenery is always associated with Portland, as it is a part of who we are.
We are surrounded by mountains, rivers, and forests, and we love to get out into nature.
We have some truly great wine in the Willamette Valley.
9. We love to shop local.
Farmers markets are the place to be. We love local everything, and others do know about it.
10. We are also known for one of our newest legal markets: marijuana.
There are dispensary tours that acquaint the out-of-towners with all the local businesses have to offer.
11. We have a slight obsession with donuts.
Whether you like Voodoo, Blue Star, or Annie's, chances are you love our donuts too.
12. On a national stage, we are known as a liberal enclave of protest-happy citizens.
We show up for protests like other people show up for work.
13. And then there is the rain.
Sure, we have gotten drenched with over 45 inches this season, but we don't even graze the top ten list of most rainy places in the US. In fact, the Southeastern US gets quite a bit more rain annually than we do, but we are stuck with the rainy reputation.
What else is Portland known for?