Oklahoma July 08, 2017
13 Weird Side Effects Everyone Experiences From Growing Up In Oklahoma
Oklahoma is a fantastic place to call home. Whether you’ve lived here your whole life, or you’ve only called the Sooner State home for a few years, there are certain things you can relate to. Take a look at 13 side effects everyone experiences from living in Oklahoma.
1. It's engrained in your DNA to automatically smile or wave at anyone.
You can't help it, it's just how you were raised.
2. You're not afraid of severe weather...that is until you see rotation.
There's nothing like a good Oklahoma thunderstorm.
3. You think everything should be deep fried.
That's because everything is better fried.
4. Without fail, you call in sick to work at least once during the state fair.
We're still not sure why the fair is not an official state holiday.
5. You still schedule yearly vacations to Dallas or Branson.
Hey, if it's out of Oklahoma, it's called a vacation!
6. Illogical street and town names don't phase you.
You get use to seeing towns with names like IXL and streets called Flaming Lips.
7. Neither do strange roadside attractions.
From a big blue whale to the world's largest peanut, we're accustomed to odd ball attractions.
8. You give directions in time instead of miles.
And your directions usually include Quiktrip as a point of reference. For example, "Go past the Quiktrip on Main Street about 5 minutes and then take a left."
9. Manners are important to you.
It's not difficult to say please and thank you.
10. You're always prepared for hot and cold weather in the same day.
You know how unpredictable Oklahoma weather can be.
11. You always have essential items on hand.
Whether it's bug spray or sunscreen, you know how imperative it is to have these items around.
12. You have an interesting sense of humor.
Maybe it has to do with living in a landlocked state, but your sense of humor isn't always understood.
13. Deep down you love the fact that you were raised in Oklahoma with good values and a loving community.
It doesn't matter what other people think, because you appreciate this great state!
What other weird side effects would you add to this list?
Living in Oklahoma sure can ruin your life. Take a look at
13 reasons why.