13 Things You Actually Need To Know Before Picking Up And Moving To Oklahoma
If living in Oklahoma is in your near future, you’re in for a treat! We have a great state that is full of friendly people, beautiful scenery, delicious food, and much more. As with any state, we have our pros and cons, so before picking up and moving to the Sooner State, here are 13 things to keep in mind before you move here.
1. Everything here is very affordable, especially our home prices.
People are moving to Oklahoma in large numbers and one key factor is affordability.
2. You'll find fried food in almost every restaurant.
We love to fry everything! Don't be surprised if you order vegetables and they come breaded.
3. You'll become a barbecue snob.
We have sooooo many yummy bbq restaurants all over the state that will spoil you with their tender and tasty meat.
4. We have a lot of topography that looks like this.
Okay, so yeah we do have a good amount of flat land but you'll be surprised just how different the terrain varies from one part of the state to the next.
5. But we also have more that looks like this.
We have one of the most diverse topographies in the country with over 11 eco-regions. Be prepared to be blown away by our gorgeous scenery.
6. Tornadoes are the real deal around here.
When you hear the sirens sound, take it seriously and get to shelter immediately.
7. Our town names can be difficult to pronounce.
Don't feel too bad if you're corrected by the locals. We have many tricky names in the state.
8. Our summers can get really, really hot.
It's not uncommon to have many days over 100 degrees in the summer. Our best advice - find any source of water and live in it.
9. The State Fair is treated like a holiday. Plan on attending at least once.
Oklahoma City and Tulsa have a yearly fair that's
10. We have lots of potholes.
Just prepare yourself now that our roads aren't in the best condition.
11. The lakes will become your favorite spot in the summer.
We have so many beautiful ones to choose from!
12. We can get all four seasons within the span of one day.
Watch out for our crazy weather. Pay attention to alerts and always be prepared for it to change at a moments notice.
13. Football is a BIG deal.
No matter what league and what age, football is king in this state.
All you veteran Oklahomans…what else would you add to this list? Share your thoughts in the comments section!
In case you’re worried about how to pronounce our town names,
check out this article that will give you a head start on a few of the tricky ones.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.