15 Things People From Oklahoma Always Have To Explain To Out Of Towners
If you have friends and family heading to the Sooner State for the holidays there might be a few things you’ll have to explain to them. For starters, you’ll probably have to tell them how to pronounce your town name properly, then quickly let them know they could experience all four seasons in one day. Life in Oklahoma is unique, so remember you might need to explain these 15 things to out of towners.
1. The wind is no joke.
Outsiders don't believe it until they get here and experience it.
2. Strangers will wave at you...for no reason.
What can we say...we're a friendly bunch of people!
3. Don't buy beer from the grocery store.
Oklahoma law makes grocery and convenience stores sell low point beer. However, this is about to change on Oct. 1, 2018. This restriction will be lifted due to a new law passed, but until then, stick to the liquor stores.
4. It's not all flat land in Oklahoma.
We all know this by now but we forget outsiders think we are a flat, boring state.
5. In fact, we're only one of four states to have more than 10 ecoregions.
We even have our own Little Sahara Desert.
6. There is a church on every corner.
We are part of the Bible Belt.
7. You'll find chicken fried steak on 90% of the menus in Oklahoma.
And we fry everything.
8. And we're obsessed with bbq.
Not just any bbq...Oklahoma barbecue is some of the best "Q" in the country. You'll see!
9. State fairs are a BIG deal.
If you ever visit the state during fair season, be prepared Oklahomans schedule everything around it.
10. Tornado watches aren't the same as tornado warnings.
Out of towners get all scared when there is a tornado watch. It's the warnings that you need to be scared of.
11. We have some funny sayings that might need some explanation.
You might hear, "bless your heart" which doesn't mean bless you. It's a nice, little jab. Or you might hear, "fixin to" which means "going to" or "about to." And instead of "wallet," you could hear the word "billfold."
12. It's not unusual to experience all four seasons in one day.
The best advice we can give you is to dress in layers.
13. Our town names can be tricky to pronounce.
14. Our lakes are our beaches.
We might be landlocked but our thousands of miles of shoreline make up for it.
15. The sunsets are some of the most beautiful in the country.
Just wait and see:)
If you’re looking for places to take your out of town guests, check out these
19 Beautiful Places In Oklahoma.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.