It’s a powerful thing when
The New York Times says, “Your city has arrived.” And that’s exactly what they had to say about Oklahoma City. Oklahoma’s capital is a bustling city that’s come a long way in the past decade. Public and private investments over the last 10 years have completely changed the face of the city, securing its future as a preeminent city in America. From a thriving downtown to bustling suburbs, Oklahoma City is a beautiful tale of a Cinderella-like story. It went from being a city that was mediocre at best, to a hip, fast-growing metropolis that is being admired by news outlets all over the country.
So what makes Oklahoma City so great? It offers everything you look for in a modern metropolitan community – an abundance of the arts, excellent health care, quality education, superb dining and so much more. And it does so without high prices, energy shortages, smog or traffic congestion. It is a markedly livable city where you can achieve your business dreams and still enjoy a high quality of life. Without further ado, here are 13 reasons (and accolades) why Oklahoma City is the best city in America:
1. Experts ranked Oklahoma City as one of the best cities to move to in 2015.
Simple Moving Labor has ranked Oklahoma City as the No. 4 "Best City to Move to in 2015." OKC ranked high in part due to home affordability and the energy/aerospace sectors.
2. USA Today recently released a list of "14 Places in America You Have to Visit in 2016" and Oklahoma City made the list along with the likes of San Diego, Hawaii, Las Vegas and more.
The article highlighted the Oklahoma Boathouse District among other attractions.
3. The OKC metro is one of the most affordable places to live in America.
Using data from the 2014 American Community Survey, Credit.com found that Oklahoma City ranked No. 2 in the nation for "Least Housing-Poor Areas." It also ranks 9th in the nation for "Most Affordable Metro for Renters and Owners." On average, owners and renters pay around 28 percent of their income towards housing in OKC.
4. Oklahoma City ranked No. 8 nationally for new home construction in 2015.
The study was conducted by New Geography. Dating back to 2010, new construction makes up about 5.5 percent of the metro's housing base.
5. From music to art and everything in between, Oklahoma City is rich in culture.
Oklahoma City has world-renowned museums, concerts and art displays that are a haven for those seeking cultural activities.
6. They not only have one of the best teams in the NBA, but Thunder fans rank among NBA’s best fans in the league.
To the shock of no one in Oklahoma City, Forbes recently ranked Thunder fans the second-best fanbase in the NBA. The Thunder achieved over 200-straight home sell outs and Forbes highlighted the Thunder’s impressive TV ratings.
7. The emerging food scene is incredible.
With the vast amount of restaurants, bars and eateries in OKC, you can find anything you want to eat here.
8. The OKC metro was ranked No. 1 for careers for people with military skill sets and No. 9 in entrepreneurship for military veterans.
Oklahoma City has a strong history of supporting the military and a recent study by USAA confirms it.
9. Americans are "thronging to" Oklahoma City.
According to a new study by New Geography, Oklahoma City ranks in the top 10 for "annual rate of increase from migration" among large metros. Oklahoma City ranked No. 9 with an annual increase of 0.7 percent since 2010.
10. According to Travel+Leisure, OKC metro ranked No. 5 on “America’s Friendliest Cities” list.
According to the survey, OKC ranked as the LEAST rude and snobby city in the U.S. The ranking also highlighted the growing Plaza District.
11. The city is very community oriented, with events and gatherings on a weekly basis.
If you want to get involved in the community, the opportunities are endless.
12. OKC is the No. 1 city worth moving to if you want to launch a business.
"Combine a strong small-business-lending environment and a lower cost of living, and you have a surprising startup haven." That is how Entrepreneur described Oklahoma City when they ranked the metro No. 1 on its "25 Cities Worth Moving to If You Want to Launch a Business" list in September 2015.
13. Oklahoma City is one of the best places to find a job.
According to Fortune Magazine, Oklahoma City ranked No. 8 for "Best city to find a job in 2015." The study used census data and unemployment rate for their ranking.
Watch this incredible highlight video of Oklahoma City:
To see more Oklahoma City accolades, visit the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce website
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.