The Sweetest Road Trip In Ohio Takes You To 7 Old School Chocolate Shops
What’s better than old-fashioned, hand-dipped chocolates? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Here in Ohio, we’re fortunate to have several old school candy shops and soda fountains that still view chocolate making as an art. The nostalgic atmosphere of these shops will make you want to linger for a while — and probably eat more than your fill of chocolate, too! We’ve compiled a road trip that hits seven shops that have stood the test of time and make some of the best chocolate in Ohio. To help make your trip as seamless as possible, be sure to use our ultimate road trip packing list!
The total drive time clocks in at just a little over eight hours, covering more than 400 miles. Check out the link to view an interactive Google Map of the Ohio chocolate shop road trip. Clear your weekend, grab a friend or two and hit the road for the sweetest road trip in Ohio.
What do you think – would you take this road trip? Or, where is your favorite chocolate shop in Ohio that should be added to thr trip? Let us know!
For more delicious candy in Ohio, check out our previous article: The Gigantic Candy Store In Ohio You’ll Want To Visit Over And Over Again.
Best Chocolate Shops In Ohio
Where can I find the best chocolate in Ohio?
The seven old-school chocolate shops in our road trip are all chocolate-lover approved, but Aglamesis Bros in Cincinnati might just take the (chocolate) cake. This old-school chocolate shop is known for:
- Its massive selection of chocolates, made fresh daily.
- Customers can choose from chocolate-covered Oreos, chocolate turtles, chocolate-covered pretzels and nut clusters, and chocolate truffles.
- The real star at Aglamesis is their Opera Creams. They are creamy and rich — an absolute revelation!
- If you’re into ice cream, you’ll be delighted to know that Aglamesis is also an old-fashioned ice cream shop, too!
Does Ohio have any old-school candy shops?
Ohio, it seems, has a big sweet tooth. In addition to its amazing chocolatiers, The Buckeye State is also home to some really wonderful, old-school candy shops, too!
- In Greater Cleveland, Rocket Fizz and the Chagrin Falls Popcorn Shop always merit a visit.
- If you’re near Cincinnati, Grandpa Joe’s Candy Store in Middletown deserves a visit.
- Near Columbus, you will find Ohio’s oldest candy store: Wittich’s Candy Shop.
- If your motto is “go big or go home,” then you absolutely need to visit b.a. Sweetie in Cleveland. This 40,000 square foot candy store is the largest in the world, and keeps an average of 500,000 pounds of candy in stock!
What are some fun foodie road trips in Ohio?
Ohio is home to some stellar restaurants and dining destinations, and there are so many food trails to explore.
- This epic three-day restaurant road trip is a culinary tour de force that showcases the best of the best in the Buckeye State
- If you’re into tacos, check out this statewide taco trail
- Or local taco loves could journey along this Columbus taco trail
- If you’re looking to kick back on an adults-only kind of adventure, check out this margarita marathon
- Or quench your thirst on a Cleveland brewery trail