Ohio March 17, 2015
Here Are 20 Reasons Why Ohioans Are Proud – And Rightfully So
As much as Ohioans rag on their own state, they are often secretly just as proud of it. There’s an unspoken security here in Ohio in which we know we’re not perfect, but at the end of the day, we still think Ohio is pretty awesome compared to other states… and we’re proud of it. Here’s when we thought so and why:
1) When the world realized man could in fact walk on the moon.
2) When Ohio decided in 1803 to be the first state in the Northwest Territory to officially not permit slavery.
3) When Oberlin College showed the nation that no matter what sex or ethnicity you are you deserve a shot at a college education no matter what sex or ethnicity of people you're around.
4) When the Ohio State Buckeyes won the NCAA National Championship. We've done it eight times, and we WILL do it again.
5) Anytime the Ohio State Buckeyes beat the Michigan Wolverines.
6) Anytime you indulge in the great American sport because the Cincinnati Reds set the stage for professional baseball.
7) Anytime rock and roll is even mentioned because we're home to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
8) And also the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
9) When you step foot on a plane because you know your Ohio bros—AKA the Wright brothers— had your back way back in the day.
10) Also, when homeboy Thomas A. Edison gave us all the gift of electricity.
11) When Jesse Owens showed us how a gold medal is won.
12) Because we've acquired quite the reputation over the years for moving into the White House.
13) Whenever we hear "Hang on Sloopy."
14) Because the shape of our flag is different than any other state's.
15) When "the man with the golden voice" was discovered in Columbus.
16) Whenever you're in the mood for a square burger or a frosty.
17) Because we were the first to know that chili actually does in fact belong on top of noodles.
18) Whenever you're in need of a Life Saver.
19) Because we brought this world hot dogs.
20) Whenever you come home from vacation and realize there really is no place like home.
We’ve got a thing or two to be proud of—and this list just scratches the surface.