Hiking At Carter Falls In North Carolina Is Like Entering A Fairytale
Season after season, exploring the wilds in our own backyard in the Tar Heel State always delivers marvelous adventures – especially when it’s a waterfall you’re chasing. If you’re familiar at all with the Yadkin Valley, then you still may never have heard of Carter Falls, a series of upper and lower falls located on the Elkin River. Come with us on this whimsical hike to explore one of the best waterfalls in North Carolina. Be sure to visit the AllTrails+ website to download an offline map for this trek.
Check out this awesome YouTube video by KeithHallPhotography highlighting this fairytale waterfall.
For more information and to download the app that will make this trail combination easier to follow, see our friends at AllTrails.com.
So, have you hiked to Carter Falls yet? For the longest time, this waterfall in North Carolina was basically inaccessible because it was on private land. Would you prefer to hike through the fairytale route or park nearby and take a short walk to the falls? Sound off in our comments and post your photos if you have ’em!
Also, before you hit the trails, check out our ultimate hiking packing list for all your must-have accessories.
More to Explore
CARTER FALLS IN NORTH CAROLINA & RELATED INFO
What are some more waterfall hiking trails in North Carolina?
While Carter Falls is a whimsical trail, there are many other waterfall hiking trails in North Carolina that belong on your list. Here are 10 of the best that we recommend:
- Linville Falls, Blue Ridge Parkway
- Looking Glass Falls, Brevard
- Dry Falls, Highlands
- Upper Whitewater Falls, Sapphire
- Crabtree Falls, Marion
- Lower Cascade Falls, Danbury
- Hickory Nut Falls, Lake Lure
- Mingo Falls, Cherokee
- Triple Falls Trail, Hendersonville
- Skinny Dip Falls, Canton
If you would like to know more about these cascades, read our previous article about these waterfalls in North Carolina.
What are the best beaches in North Carolina?
It’s no secret that there are some beautiful beaches in North Carolina and these are the best that are perfect for summertime fun:
- Lifeguarded Beach, Ocracoke
- Emerald Isle Beach, Bogue Banks Island
- Bald Head Island, Brunswick County
- Carova Beach, Currituck County
- Onslow County Beach, North Topsail Beach
- Kure Beach, New Hanover County
- Caswell Beach, Brunswick County
- Wrightsville Beach, Wilmington
- Cape Hatteras, Nags Head
- Topsail Island, North Topsail Beach
Read more about these pretty oases in our article about the best beaches in North Carolina.
What are the best hiking trails in North Carolina?
If you’re searching for the best hiking trails in North Carolina, then you’re in luck. These are the best trails in the Ol’ North State that belong on your bucket list:
- Whiteside Mountain National Recreation Trail, Cashiers
- Clingmans Dome Observation Tower Trail, Bryson City
- Little East Fork Trail, Pisgah Forest
- Appalachian Trail: Hot Springs to Max Patch, Hot Springs
- Shortoff Mountain, Nebo
- Black Crest Trail, Burnsville
- Moores Knob Trail, Danbury
- Cliffs of the Neuse Longleaf Trail, Seven Springs
- Green River Narrows Trail, Flat Rock
- Sam Knob Loop, Brevard
Be sure to read our incredible article about the best hiking trails in North Carolina.