New York August 30, 2017
11 Foolproof Ways To Make Someone From New York Cringe
No matter how nice of a New Yorker you may be, there are certain buttons we have that if they get pushed will result in us making some unpleasant faces. To help others avoid getting a terrible reaction out of us, here are some of the easiest ways that you can make someone from the Empire State cringe to the ultimate degree. Keep scrolling to see if you agree!
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life. While we continue to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, please take proper precautions or add them to your bucket list to see at a later date. If you know of a local business that could use some extra support during these times, please nominate them here:
1. Thinking that New York City is the only place worth visiting in our state.
No, no no no. This thought could not be more wrong! There are so many other attractions besides our biggest city that are worth seeing and will have you dealing with far less crowds. Look beyond the Big Apple!
2. Or even worse, thinking that all of us live in the Big Apple.
Yes there may be millions of our residents who live in New York City, but there are also plenty more of us who live in other areas of our state like our charming small towns.
3. Telling us that the Canadian side of Niagara Falls is better.
While we have no problem sharing natural wonders like this with our northern neighbor, you might not want to try telling us that the Canadian half of these falls is better than ours.
4. Listening to you mispronounce one of our town names.
From towns to cities and natural wonders, New York has some names that don't easily roll off the tongue. Regardless of how understanding we are about the difficulty of these names, it always makes us cringe when we hear them pronounced wrong.
5. Having to listen to you lie through your teeth as you tell us that your state has better pizza than ours.
The only thing that might possibly be worse than this is having you try and tell us that your state has better wings, which it does not.
6. Seeing graffiti or any kind of trash all over beautiful mountains and outdoor spaces.
Dear anyone who's ever had the idea pop into their head that they think it'd be good to put graffiti all over mountains, don't. Save your inspirational quote and signature for your diary so our stunning scenery can be left how it's meant to be.
7. Witnessing you talk about how much snow your state gets as if we aren't the masters of snow storms.
Other states can try and talk about how horrible it is to get snow during winter (or any season really), but unless you've lived in New York then you probably have no clue what you're talking about.
8. Not having any snow for the holiday season.
As often as some of us can complain about New York's winter weather, you'll almost always hear us complain even more when we wake up during the holiday season to find that there's no snow outside. Holiday decorations just don't look the same!
9. When people think that the 1969 Woodstock Festival was actually held in the town Woodstock.
In case you somehow didn't already know this fact, the Woodstock Music Festival was actually held in a small town about 50-miles away from Woodstock.
10. Do us all a favor and just don't bring up New York's taxes.
Whether you agree with how high they are and why we have them or are simply appalled, save everyone the cringes and groans and just don't bring them up.
11. Telling us that you root for anything other than New York teams.
If you live in New York or anywhere for that matter and happen to mention to us that you're rooting for teams like the Red Sox or New England Patriots, we may or may not give you a deadly dose of side eye. New York teams forever and always!
What makes you cringe the most as a New Yorker? To be reminded of how unique of a breed we are, take a look at these
9 Phrases That Will Make You Swear New Yorkers Have Their Own Language!