New York History March 01, 2016
by Lea Monroe These 20 Photos Of New York In The 1970s Are Mesmerizing
Nostalgia can be quite addictive; here at Only In New York we love taking strolls down memory lane. Over the past 40 years so much has changed in our state, from how we dress to the way we spend our leisure time, there are certainly plenty of things to reminisce about. Here to bring life to many forgotten memories are 20 mesmerizing photos of New York during the 1970s:
1. Pictured here you can see one of New York's many explorers, getting ready to tackle the Adirondacks!
Can you tell where this adventurer is standing in the Adirondacks by all the listings on the sign?
2. The Adirondack Mountain Club up on Mount Van Hoevenberg!
Have you ever done this hike? More importantly, are you fully taking in what these hikers are wearing?
3. Unrecognizable from its modern day look, here you can see the inside of a Price Chopper in 1973.
Have you ever shopped at Albany's Price Chopper on Madison Avenue? This is what it looked like not too long ago!
4. Someone was lucky enough to be getting ready for a ride up in that hot air balloon!
Captured in the city of New Rochelle.
5. Captured like you've never seen it before, here is The Egg during construction in 1976.
Wow! Have you ever visited Albany and passed by this eye catching piece of architecture?
6. Pictured during one of its most popular years, here you can see Watkins Glen International.
It was during this era that the Watkins Glen International race track would annually host the United States Grand Prix.
7. Just a small piece of what there is to see, pictured above are the cars of New York's residents parked inside Washington Park in 1973.
Is there anything better than finding nostalgic photos featuring old time cars?
8. A 1970s vendor strolling through New York's Central Park.
This one not only intrigues us, but also makes our stomaches rumble just a little bit. Yum!
9. New York City's subway looked quite a bit differently back in the 1970s.
Look at those fabric seats!
10. In 1976 exciting times were being had out in Corning, New York!
Captured here you can see magic happening at Corning Steuben Works.
11. Taken in July of 1976, you can see the small town of Addison celebrating the United States Bicentennial with a parade!
12. A city vendor receiving a ticket from a police officer.
13. Thousands of construction workers protesting outside of City Hall in May 1970.
One thing that all of our residents are far from lacking is passion!
14. A Brooklyn corner captured in 1972, it's hard to make your eyes stray away from the vintage stroller!
There's so much going on in this photograph that's giving us nostalgia.
15. Things got a
bit wild during the 1973 Summer Jam at Watkins Glen!
With over half a million fans attending this concert, to state that it was legendary would really be saying the least.
16. Another great photo from the 1973 Summer Jam, here you could create your own vintage spin off game of Where's Waldo.
Exactly how many people are perched up in this tree?
17. The Washington Park Lake in 1977, fully drained for cleaning purposes.
Have you ever seen the water completely drained like this in the park? Crazy!
18. Taken in the late 1970' you can see not astronauts but firefighters, training with firefighting foam.
Apart of the Aerospace Rescue Recovery Group, the men hard at work in this photograph are quite the site to see.
19. When we speak of some of our state parks and tell you that they've been long time favorites amongst New York's residents, we
really meant it.
Above you can see a visitor strolling through one of the trails at Watkins Glen State Park.
20. Tall hair, mustaches and wide-leg pants, taken in 1975 you can see New York's busy bees enjoying their lunch break on Wall Street.
Do you recognize any of the places in these photographs? What a fascinating point in time. Make sure you share which year from the 1970s was your absolute favorite!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.