New Mexico December 26, 2017
9 Reasons Why People In New Mexico Should Be Proud Of Their State
Whether you’ve called this state your home for years or you’re just one particularly enchanted visitor, New Mexico is one place that you will never forget. Our state has a wonderful trifecta of beautiful landscapes, a rich history, and awesome food but there are plenty more reasons to be proud of this state. Here’s a look at nine such reasons.
1. New Mexico is home to
three UNESCO World Heritage sites, totaling more than any other state!
Carlsbad Caverns, Taos Pueblo, and Chaco Culture National Historical Park make up the world renowned sites. In fact, a fourth site may be added in the future: White Sands National Monument.
2. On a related note, two of the oldest, continuously inhabited communities in the country are located right here: Taos Pueblo and Acoma Pueblo.
3. Some of the most stunning, surreal landscapes can be found here.
4. New Mexico is known as the Land of Enchantment but it’s also Land of Volcanoes.
They may no longer be erupting, but New Mexico has one of the largest collections of uneroded volcanoes in the country and on the continent!
5. We are also home to one massive cavern: Carlsbad Caverns.
Featuring more than 100 different caves inside, Carlsbad Caverns is a spelunker’s dream come true.
6. The nation’s (and world’s) first wilderness area was Gila Wilderness, which later became Gila National Forest.
7. The food, by the way, is simply divine.
Do I even need to go into further detail on this?
8. New Mexico is also home to the oldest vineyards in the country, dating back to the 1610s!
9. New Mexico has always been a muse for artists, influencing the art of Georgia O’Keeffe, Cormac McCarthy, Ansel Adams, and a long list of many others.
For more fun facts about New Mexico, check out
11 Incredible, Almost Unbelievable Facts About New Mexico!