14 Quirky Facts About New Hampshire That Sound Made Up, But Are 100% Accurate
Facts and sometimes be unexciting, but local legends are often much more colorful. What if there were interesting items in history that were a bit of both? Here are some unusual things about New Hampshire that you may not know about.
1. The Abduction Of Betty And Barney Hill
From September 19 to 20, 1961, this couple
claimed to have been abducted by aliens
in the Town of Lincoln. The incident has been the subject of much study and has been adapted for books and television.
2. Franklin Pierce, Sex Symbol
3. Killington, Vermont Wants To Be Killington, New Hampshire
4. New Hampshire Has Nine State Songs
5. The First American In Space Played Golf On The Moon
Alan Shepard was the first American to travel into space and the fifth person to set foot on the moon. If they weren't momentous enough, he also became famous for
whacking a golf ball
on the "one big sand trap" of the moon.
6. The Largest Town In New England Is Here
New Hampshire's Great North Woods Region is dominated by the expanse of the
Town of Pittsburg
, which shares a border with Canada. This largely uninhabited area is home to much of the state's timber harvesting.
7. New Hampshire Fisher Cats' Original Name
8. The Center Of The State Is Almost Underwater
9. Football Without Helmets, You Know, For Science
10. New Hampshire Has Four Nicknames
Out of the four nicknames
, Mother of Rivers, White Mountain State, Switzerland of America, and the Granite State, the latter is best known and most used. It reflects the extensive granite formations that can be seen in the region's cliffs and mountains.
11. An Infamous Serial Killer Was Born Here
Herman Webster Mudgett
was a prolific serial killer who confessed to 27 murders. He spent much of his time outside the state but was born in Gilmanton, New Hampshire.
12. The State's Original Name Was North Virginia
13. The State Insect Is The Ladybug
14. Birthplace Of The American Potato
If all of that wasn’t unusual enough, there’s plenty of weirdness in New Hampshire like
these 11 strange laws, 12 locations around the state with oddball names, and 11 weird things that New Hampshire residents do.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.
Address: New Hampshire, USA