Nebraska February 01, 2017
22 Insanely Beautiful Photos Of The Sandhills Of Nebraska That Will Make You Want To Visit
We like to think of Nebraska as one of America’s hidden gems. No one really realizes just how beautiful our state is until they come to visit for themselves. One of the most breathtaking regions is smack dab in the middle and takes up one fourth of the whole state: the Sandhills. This scenic region also happens to be the largest and most intricate wetland ecosystem in the entire country. It’s full of boundless beauty, as you’ll see below…
1. The Sandhills were once called the "Great American Desert" and thought of as wasted land.
2. Although crops don't do well in this sandy environment, it is perfect ranch land.
3. This is definitely not the Nebraska most people expect when they visit for the first time.
4. The Dismal River snakes its way through the Sandhills. The view from Hwy 83 is absolutely magical.
5. A hunter and his dog hunker down to appreciate the gorgeous Sandhills landscape while on an autumn grouse hunt.
6. Several scenic and recreational rivers make their way through the Sandhills - and they're all absolutely lovely.
7. The grass-covered hills look soft and almost furry in this picture.
8. This bull looks at home in the perfect ranch land that is the Sandhills.
9. These gentle hills stretch out for as far as the eye can see.
10. The majestic sandhill crane is named for this part of Nebraska. Each year, hundreds of thousands of them stop here for a short time during their spring migration.
11. Here they are doing their elaborate field dance. The Sandhills region provides just the right combination of factors to make it the ideal place for these graceful birds to pause on their long journey.
12. Storm clouds brew and boil over the Sandhills, just waiting to water the thirsty ground.
13. Bulls on a Cherry County ranch pose for their moment in the camera's eye.
14. This tall windmill is almost swallowed up by the big rolling hills and spectacularly clear sky.
15. This idyllic rural scene of a train and a windmill could almost be a painting.
16. Most of the largest hand-planted forest in the western hemisphere lies in the Sandhills, a place that was once known as an "irredeemable desert."
17. A windmill stands guard over a brimming water trough near Valentine.
18. The vast Niobrara Valley Preserve is located within the Sandhills; these bison are among the wildlife living on the preserve.
19. These beautiful Ponderosa pine-covered bluffs run alongside the Niobrara National Scenic River.
20. This misty view of the Sandhills near Bingham looks almost otherworldly.
21. The rivers winding through the Sandhills are perfect for kayaking, canoeing, tubing, and tanking. Thousands of fun-seekers head here every year to take advantage of the river recreation.
22. This spectacular part of Nebraska is impressive at any time of year.
Wow. This is a uniquely beautiful place that seems mostly unknown to people outside of the Great Plains. Have you discovered the Sandhills yet?
Explore the Sandhills and have 11 other purely Nebraskan adventures with
this fun list.